The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 am 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 123
Location: Boyertown, PA
Charles, any estimate of what a minimum initial run might cost? Perhaps 10 or 20 records?

I've been badly, badly wanting to record a few sides of my own (which I could do easily enough myself ... just Django-style guitar and vocals), getting them pressed on a shellac equivalent, then playing them and selling them (at cost) at my windup DJ gigs.

Currently at said DJ gigs, I'll occasionally plop on a not-too-cluttered instrumental (like Jimmy Noone's "Sweet Lorraine") and grab a couple vocal choruses with my megaphone/mic combo.

But this would be next-level ish!

So, I'm indeed very excited to read your post here and I could be a customer in perpetuity! :D
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:47 pm 
Offline
Victor III
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 546
Location: South Carolina
UPDATES.

I don't know when I will be working further on this--perhaps circumstance will kill it off but I hope not.

The trouble is, it is looking more and more like I can move in 2019. Not having a car, I don't want to try moving a record factory in a couple suitcases.

In the meantime I am reading about how to build up the materials to avoid playback wear, and saving up plans and song ideas. Hopefully there will be something coming soon--wish I hadn't announced this so early. :(

In the meantime I am researching vacuum chambers and pumps, planning molds--unfortunately I might need a laboratory to get this on! With trapping season coming up, Dad and Kid Brother will want to use the barn for animal hides, thus removing all things vintage and mechanical to the house...where no epoxy or gasoline smells are tolerated. Imagine that!

Planning, though...the idea is super hot jazz music and perhaps early country, plus whoever could record for me now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:01 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 3:46 pm
Posts: 552
Location: Philadelphia, PA
SteveM wrote:
Charles, any estimate of what a minimum initial run might cost? Perhaps 10 or 20 records?

I've been badly, badly wanting to record a few sides of my own (which I could do easily enough myself ... just Django-style guitar and vocals), getting them pressed on a shellac equivalent, then playing them and selling them (at cost) at my windup DJ gigs.



Steve,
I hope not to get step on anyones toes with this post and apologize in advance if I'm doing so.
I'm currently able to take a digital recording, cut it to a lacquer and then reproduce it in my shellac compatible resin. A video is below. Message me if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/1tUU-yja0WA
The Berliner Archive Project:
Lend me your Berliners to be molded and get your originals back plus free copies!
See the current status here = http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32545


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:51 am 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 pm
Posts: 346
So if you guys would make say, a Beatles 78 record, would that be considered pirating and against the law? If not, could you imagine hearing something like "Hey Jude" out of a 1916 Victrola :) I would even like to hear something really modern play on my credenza like a trance song or other EDM song.


Last edited by travisgreyfox on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:31 pm 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 123
Location: Boyertown, PA
donniej wrote:
SteveM wrote:
Charles, any estimate of what a minimum initial run might cost? Perhaps 10 or 20 records?

I've been badly, badly wanting to record a few sides of my own (which I could do easily enough myself ... just Django-style guitar and vocals), getting them pressed on a shellac equivalent, then playing them and selling them (at cost) at my windup DJ gigs.



Steve,
I hope not to get step on anyones toes with this post and apologize in advance if I'm doing so.
I'm currently able to take a digital recording, cut it to a lacquer and then reproduce it in my shellac compatible resin. A video is below. Message me if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/1tUU-yja0WA


Don, I'll be in touch, thanks! Excited about your newest formulation, the video was just NUTS!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:16 pm 
Offline
Victor V
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:54 pm
Posts: 2364
travisgreyfox wrote:
So if you guys would make say, a Beatles 78 record, would that be considered pirating and against the law? If not, could you imagine hearing something like "Hey Jude" out of an 1916 Victrola :) I would even like to hear something really modern play on my credenza like a trance song or other EDM song.


Beatles records were pressed in India, perhaps as late as 1968. They are quite scarce and quite expensive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:17 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1899
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
I'd buy multiple copies of Beck's "Loser" on 78... it's my theme song! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opening a 78-only record label
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:47 am 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 pm
Posts: 346
52089 wrote:
travisgreyfox wrote:
So if you guys would make say, a Beatles 78 record, would that be considered pirating and against the law? If not, could you imagine hearing something like "Hey Jude" out of an 1916 Victrola :) I would even like to hear something really modern play on my credenza like a trance song or other EDM song.


Beatles records were pressed in India, perhaps as late as 1968. They are quite scarce and quite expensive.



That's why we have resin and mp3's :D I just do not know the legality of pressing a copyrighted song onto an obscure 78 rpm record.

gramophone-georg wrote:
I'd buy multiple copies of Beck's "Loser" on 78... it's my theme song! :D


My theme song is Creep by RadioHead :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.