A question for Bing Crosby fans

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CPBarnum
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Longtime music lover, Grafonola newbie

A question for Bing Crosby fans

Post by CPBarnum »

I know, I know ... those ubiquitous Crosby records, great for ballast and target practice. I have hundreds of them, too.

But is there *anything* by Bing that falls into the rare and legitimately collectible category? Or is it all, "yeah, well, if you like the song, maybe hang on to it and listen occasionally, but there's 87 bazillion other copies of it circulating, so don't think it's not easily replaceable"?

I just don't want to discard anything legitimately rare over to the local thrift shop.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: A question for Bing Crosby fans

Post by Wolfe »

87 bazillion copies of Der Bingle's many Decca sides is what you likely refer to.

His early Victor and Columbia sides with Paul Whiteman (and the Rhythm Boys) and Gus Arnheim are more desirable and less common in nice copies 'in the wild' IME, anyway. There's also a side the Rhythm Boys did with Duke Ellington.

The early solo Brunswick sides I guess you could relegate to common status. Especially those reissue albums that were put out in the 40's.
Last edited by Wolfe on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Wolfe wrote:87 bazillion copies of Der Bingle's many Decca sides is what you likely refer to.

His early Victor and Columbia sides with Paul Whiteman (and the Rhythm Boys) and Gus Arnheim are more desirable and less common 'in the wild.' There's also a side the Rhythm Boys did with Duke Ellington.
Some of the early Depression- era Brunswicks are desirable as well.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ I guess you'd be right. During the Depression, even Bing's sales would have been affected, making some originals rarer now.

CPBarnum
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Longtime music lover, Grafonola newbie

Post by CPBarnum »

Wolfe wrote:87 bazillion copies of Der Bingle's many Decca sides is what you likely refer to.
Exactly

Though I did just take a peek at the stack -- among the several hundred Deccas, I found one Brunswick, one Harmony and one Banner ... I'll have to clean them up and give 'em a listen

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

If you can find a copy, this one is worthwhile:

Dinah - Bing Crosby & The Mills Brothers -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21D9IfFUSeE

OF

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

A nice copy of Columbia 824-D would be a good find. That is Bing Crosby's very first recording, even before Paul Whiteman. It is by Don Clark and his Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel Orchestra, song title I'VE GOT THE GIRL. He and Al Rinker do a short duet, about 35 seconds.

https://youtu.be/R8pVMsi20es

Another recording;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ924B3Bgro

They are not really rare, but they are extremely overlooked except by the hard core BC collector.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I wouldn't ever any toss any Columbia 'Potato Head' Paul Whiteman records that feature Bing / Rhythm Boys.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

CDBPDX wrote:A nice copy of Columbia 824-D would be a good find. That is Bing Crosby's very first recording, even before Paul Whiteman. It is by Don Clark and his Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel Orchestra, song title I'VE GOT THE GIRL. He and Al Rinker do a short duet, about 35 seconds.
October, 1926

Bing's first solo vocal turn is Muddy Water with Paul Whiteman in March, 1927.

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

Okeh 41228 with Sam Lanin has sold for strong prices, unsure of rarity