kind of cool find at thrift store

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
78recordpicker
Victor I

kind of cool find at thrift store

Post by 78recordpicker »

Amidst a large box of pretty beat up common columbia red label post war titles, was this guy. For whatever reason, I have never come across a Hanshaw in thw wild, let alone on the Diva label. Its a very nice V+. 50 cents in the bargain bin. Keep looking!
Attachments
harnshaw.JPG
harnshaw.JPG (100.81 KiB) Viewed 2030 times

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Re: kind of cool find at thrift store

Post by Vinrage_mania »

I have never found one in the wild ether.....eBay yes ......nice

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Nice find, and one of her best sides. I'm always fascinated to see what people do and don't find "in the wild". I've managed to accumulate most of her discs from "in the wild" including many duplicates now that I keep for playing on machines. Most of it has dried up completely in these parts, but one of my last finds "in the wild" was a nice box full of late 20s and early 30s stuff, maybe 100 discs or so that I'd swear are unplayed stock. Among them were two of her Okehs, which are extremely tough to find in any condition.

Sean

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

That certainly is a great find! Here in the Netherlands finding these records in the wild is nearly impossible. I won't tell you what I paid for my copy (I won it in one of Nauck's auctions)

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

I think I paid $60 for mine

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Found her Diva of "Tip-Toe Through the Tulips" in the wild, many years ago, before I even knew who Annette Hanshaw was...

Bill

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

but one of my last finds "in the wild" was a nice box full of late 20s and early 30s stuff, maybe 100 discs or so that I'd swear are unplayed stock.
hey Sean, that happened to me today. I've never seen 1925 Silvertones NOS in the sleeves looking like they were pressed yesterday! One of them is Silvertone 2485 Sing Loo by the California Serenaders. I dated this record to 1925. Does that mean it's electric? Also a bunch of German records NOS on Odeon with Richard Tauber, and other records like Polydor. One of the records was a DIVA 2829-G with a singer named Dot Dare singing I Faw Down and Go Boom/ Don't Be Like That. And an oddball electric DD thrown in, 52130 B.A. Rolfe fox trot.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Dot Dare=Annette Hanshaw.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I've only found one in the wild and it was whipped.

She also recorded as Gay Ellis and Patsy Young. :coffee:

James.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Roaring20s wrote:I've only found one in the wild and it was whipped.

She also recorded as Gay Ellis and Patsy Young. :coffee:

James.
Yup. My one and only Hanshaw was found in a bin on the floor of a shop in Clovis, CA. It was a Velvet Tone with so many lam cracks that the soundbox looked like a merry-go-round horse tracking it! Obviously, it doesn't get played any more, but with her name on it I had to buy it for $3.