Record Label Transparencies

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Record Label Transparencies

Post by Wolfe »

The vinyl LP issue of Time Out Mind also uses retro Viva-Tonal labels, different color, kind of an orange-brown.

In answer to Mordeth's question above, in 1961, when Dylan started on Columbia they were at the tail end of using the common '6-eye' label that had been in use throughout the 1950's, shortly to go to the 360 sound label that all of Dylan's albums were issued on until around 1970.

Some copies of his 1st self titled LP have the 6-eye label , but they're fairly rare.

The Viva-Tonals were long, long, gone by then.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

I remember seeing a CD called CONTEMPLATING THE ENGINE ROOM by Mike Watt from about 1997 or 1998 which was on Columbia and had a knockoff of the Viva-tonal label, dark brown with white lettering IIRC. It said 'Pedro-tonal recording' in the same style of lettering as the original Viva-tonal.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Here's a late Columbia Flag label:

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Here’s the latest Columbia from Viva-Tonal:

And it can also be found as a stock avatar gallery. :D

...plus, I have tons more of these to do...

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

It’s been a while since I’ve gotten something posted in this thread, so here’s one of gramophoneshane’s labels.

And as always, it’s in the stock avatar gallery. :D

...and of course, I still have a lot of labels that I want to cut and post here left to do.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

This label is cross-posted from the Edison & Other interesting record sleeves thread where Valecnik posted it, but I wanted to have it here as well, so it was grouped with the other cut labels.

It can also be found in the stock avatar gallery. :D

— MordEth

VictorScroll
Victor Jr

Post by VictorScroll »

MordEth wrote:
Valecnik wrote:I need to figure out the technology for transferring them from my turntable/tube amp combo onto the computer in order to start posting.
Bruce,

What sort of output do you have from your amp? ¼" or ⅛" jacks? RCA? Either way you should be able to run out from the amp into your computer’s sound card. If you haven’t already, check out this thread (and revisit it with questions). We have quite a few people that do very good transfers that no doubt have good advice to offer on that front.

Here’s another label from RJ’s collection:

This is another one that was new to me—I assume it’s a later English Columbia?

— MordEth

I think these date from the late 30s,or early 40s.I have a Bessie Smith on this label

VictorScroll
Victor Jr

Post by VictorScroll »

MordEth wrote:
B.B.B wrote:Here is a new one. Its electrically recorded, but I hope it is OK anyways.
I just found this record in one of my local shops.
B.B.B,

I think that’s the first CD that I’ve seen that reproduces a Columbia label. Here’s the transparency of it:
I have a Bob Dylan promo 45 from a few years ago,that reproduces the common post 1938 red 78 Columbia label.Elvis Costello's "Taking Liberties",and Rockpile's "Seconds of Pleasure" used this label,the former substituting "Costello" for Columbia.There are regular and white label promo versions.

Want me to upload pictures ?

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

That one's actually mid-late 1940s. I don't think that side was released here, but matrix HCO.2083, 'Hora staccato', was released on Columbia 37207, recorded (in Hollywood) 15 October 1946.

VictorScroll
Victor Jr

Post by VictorScroll »

I have dozens of unusual labels I can upload,including early 60s South African 78s.