Vertical cut records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

Re: Vertical cut records

Post by donniej »

Columbia had some very early toy discs, which were vertical cut brown wax discs. I believe they were 2" or 3" diameter. They also happen to be as rare as 5" Berliners.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

There are several French labels besides Pathé with vertical cut records, like Ideal and Opera

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

CarlosV wrote:There are several French labels besides Pathé with vertical cut records, like Ideal and Opera
...and another I'd forgotten, Disque Aerophone.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

A lot of the world Broadcasting System Radio transcriptions (made by WE) are vertical and are as quiet as an LP and some
Go out to 14000 cps

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Most everybody knows Bing Crosby's White Christmas. He recorded it twice in identical arrangements, in 1942 and 1947. Most today probably know the 1947, which was a vertical cut World Broadcasting System transcription. It was made to replace the 1942 master which was damaged somehow or worn out.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Phonofreak wrote:Another record is the early Okeh with the Indian on the label. It says on the label to use sapphire stylus. The later ones were needle cut.
Harvey Kravitz
On the one vertical Okeh I have, there is no mention of a sapphire stylus.

If, indeed, they used a sapphire, what size and shape was it?

Bill

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Same here. I have several "Indian Head" vertical Okeh's and IIRC, none of them bear any exhortation to use a sapphire ball stylus.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Wolfe wrote:Same here. I have several "Indian Head" vertical Okeh's and IIRC, none of them bear any exhortation to use a sapphire ball stylus.
I wonder if the original mention of OKeh was confusing it with Rishell or Rex? Those do urge the owner to play them with a Rishell sapphire ball or a "jewel point"/"sapphire needle" (depending on the label variant), respectively.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

drh wrote:
Wolfe wrote:Same here. I have several "Indian Head" vertical Okeh's and IIRC, none of them bear any exhortation to use a sapphire ball stylus.
I wonder if the original mention of OKeh was confusing it with Rishell or Rex? Those do urge the owner to play them with a Rishell sapphire ball or a "jewel point"/"sapphire needle" (depending on the label variant), respectively.
No, there are Okeh verticals - in fact some of the later indian head labels say LATERAL in big letters. These verticals play well with a Pathé ball.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

But the vertical Okeh's don't state anything about sapphire ball on the label, as far as I've seen. I'd be interested to see one if they exist. Indeed, when they went lateral there is a large LATERAL on the label.

Early on, Otto Heineman did start recording Okeh masters in the old Rex studio in New York. Heineman had purchased that studio, so that does lend more credence to the early Okeh's being sapphire ball records. I've never played vertical Okeh or Rex records on vintage machines, only my Hi-Fi. But they both play fine with regular 78 styli, unlike Pathé, which are much more finicky regarding skipping / skating.