The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Edison Advertising Record - Len Spencer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:12 am 
Victor IV
AmberolaAndy wrote:
It’s this light brown color. I think it might be wax. The transfer is kinda faint and there is a bit of surface noise. I guess this was early on and they haven’t worked out all the kinks yet.. :|

I bought one of these same advertising cylinders back in the 1990's. I was so happy to finally own ANY copy of the cylinder...and then I played it.

I was so disappointed with the weak sound and surface noise that I didn't even play it all the way through. I put it back in the box and have never played it again. I immediately thought to myself, "well there's another purchase blunder I made". Every time I look at that cylinder today I'm compelled to toss it out but then I remember that I paid a premium price for it (can't recall how much but it wasn't cheap) so it remains a shelf queen. It's possible that mine was simply a poor transfer and some copies are better. I can only speak for mine.

Several years later I was fortunate to find an original Edison Advertising Record in a large group of cylinders I purchased. Now that was exciting and it was very enjoyable too!

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am 
Victor II
I hate pot metal
FellowCollector wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:
It’s this light brown color. I think it might be wax. The transfer is kinda faint and there is a bit of surface noise. I guess this was early on and they haven’t worked out all the kinks yet.. :|

I bought one of these same advertising cylinders back in the 1990's. I was so happy to finally own ANY copy of the cylinder...and then I played it.

I was so disappointed with the weak sound and surface noise that I didn't even play it all the way through. I put it back in the box and have never played it again. I immediately thought to myself, "well there's another purchase blunder I made". Every time I look at that cylinder today I'm compelled to toss it out but then I remember that I paid a premium price for it (can't recall how much but it wasn't cheap) so it remains a shelf queen. It's possible that mine was simply a poor transfer and some copies are better. I can only speak for mine.

Several years later I was fortunate to find an original Edison Advertising Record in a large group of cylinders I purchased. Now that was exciting and it was very enjoyable too!

Doug

Oh well. I’ll chalk it up as a learning experience. Still a collectors item because these were the first new cylinders made after many decades of inactivity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:30 pm 
Victor I
I did not know such a cylinder had been created. Fun now I wish I had one. Neil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:42 pm 
Victor III
Duncan from Vulcan Records.com has been selling them (Edison Advertising Record by Len Spencer)for at least the last 7 years.. They are all made out of Modern Resin, Practically Bulletproof, and very reasonably priced.

You buy them from him at his UK website. See weblink below:

https://www.vulcanrecords.com/shop/spec ... ng-record/

PS: I just saw that he is "Out of Stock" of them... I am more than sure that he will make more...but don't know when..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:17 pm 
Victor V
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
NEFaurora wrote:
Duncan from Vulcan Records.com has been selling them (Edison Advertising Record by Len Spencer)for at least the last 7 years.. They are all made out of Modern Resin, Practically Bulletproof, and very reasonably priced.

You buy them from him at his UK website. See weblink below:

https://www.vulcanrecords.com/shop/spec ... ng-record/

PS: I just saw that he is "Out of Stock" of them... I am more than sure that he will make more...but don't know when..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

I also have a copy of The Advertising Record from Vulcan. It is a nicely done recording with plenty of volume.