Gennett Christmas Greeting Records 1923

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bobkolba
Victor O

Gennett Christmas Greeting Records 1923

Post by bobkolba »

Gennett issued ten records in 1923 with red labels and cataloged as CHRISTMAS GREETINGS. Does anybody have a list of titles and performers? Thank you.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Gennett Christmas Greeting Records 1923

Post by Wolfe »

bobkolba
Victor O

Post by bobkolba »

Not all ten, unfortunately and also lacking numbers. Thanks for the lead. I'll keep trying.

bobkolba
Victor O

Post by bobkolba »

The mystery has been solved. I have nine of the ten records issued but could find no reference to the tenth. Alice Gennett recorded a special Christmas Greeting on 12/7/1922 and it is unnumbered and almost impossible to find.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi bobkolba,

Could you please supply the rest of us with the complete list of ten Gennett Christmas Greetings records --- giving record numbers, titles, and artists??? Santa may reward you with that elusive Alice Gennett disc, if you are very good!

I'll assume you are aware of the special sleeves that accompany these records --- but for those who aren't, check out this example I stole from the internet. The bi-fold sleeves come in either red or green, and feature a pasted-in paper with a rendering (usually of the artist on the record) and some text. See the example below. I believe I have nine or ten of the sleeves, although some of those are duplcates.

Thanks,
Bob
Attachments
Gennett Chirstmas Greetings Sleeve (Red Variety).jpg
Gennett Christmas Greetings Sleeve --- Interior Photo (W. J. Bryan).jpg

Rastus10
Victor I

Post by Rastus10 »

I suppose that I shouldn't say this, but a current auction contains a copy of the Bebe Daniels greeting. She is one of my favourite silent/early talking film actresses. It's something outside of what I normally bid upon. I don't think that there is an sort of pictoral representation of her that accompanies the disk, but it would be nice to see someone a bit more attractive than William Jennings Bryan if someone would care to share that...

So neat to think that she recorded this about six years before she made her first talking film (Rio Rita-1929).

bobkolba
Victor O

Post by bobkolba »

Glad to share the information. The numbers and Speakers (Side A of each record) are:

5225 The Lord's Prayer Wm. Jennings Bryan
5226 The 23rd Psalm Wm. Jennings Bryan
5228 Always Christmas Wilbur D. Nesbit
5229 God Bless Us All Wilbur D. Nesbit
5236 Christmas Greetings Bebe Daniels
5237 Christmas in Hollywood Shirley Mason
5240 Christmas and Father Abe Martin
5242 My Christmas Wish Mitzi
5267 Andy Gump's Holiday Greeting
No Number Christmas Greeting Alice Gennett Recorded 12/7/1922

I have red covers for The Lord's Prayer and Andy Gump records. Have any of you seen or heard the Alice Gennett record (other than on the Internet?)