Rudy Vallee band comic song?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Rudy Vallee band comic song?

Post by marcapra »

Does anyone know the name of the song from the late 30s I think where Rudy announces that he has hired an orthodox trained singer, and that his services are no longer required, but the singer turns out to be a total clown?

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Rudy Vallee band comic song?

Post by edisonplayer »

I think it's "The Old Sow Song",I'm not really sure.edisonplayer

bfinan11
Victor I

Post by bfinan11 »

Maybe the Rudy Vallée laughing record (There Is A Tavern In The Town)? I know he loses it before the end of the song, I don't remember if there's any announcement or anything about a replacement.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

No, it's not a farting record. I never liked farting records anyway. I never knew Rudy Valle would ever stoop that low as to issue a record like that!

I should say that Rudy Vallee does not sing on this record. He does announce it though. It is a 78 on Bluebird I think. He says, "I have hired an orthodox, trained singer who is so great, my services will no longer be required in that department" or something to that affect, and then he says "He will sing an aria from the opera ???" Then this total clown goes into the wildest scat song you can imagine. It's really funny. Since no one has ever heard of this record, I guess I'll have to go dig it out. I think it's from the late 30s.
Last edited by marcapra on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

marcapra wrote:
No, you're wrong. It's not a farting record. I never liked farting records anyway. I never knew Rudy Valle would ever stoop that low as to issue a record like that! Worst record I've ever heard.

I should say that Rudy Vallee does not sing on this record. He does announce it though. It is a 78 on Bluebird I think. He says, "I have hired an orthodox, trained singer who is so great, my services will no longer be required in that department" or something to that affect, and then he says "He will sing an aria from the opera ???" Then this total clown goes into the wildest scat song you can imagine. It's really funny. Since no one has ever heard of this record, I guess I'll have to go dig it out. I think it's from the late 30s.
It is called Rudy Vallee Surprises Part 1 and Part 2
You Tube Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0O2qzF-IN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhEOyyYDf9s

There is a copy listed on EBAY right now for $19.99 plus shipping. Just search Rudy Vallee Bluebird 78rpm. One of the Craziest things I ever heard! Enjoy.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

thanks marco, that's it! I don't know how you found it. I tried to search it on YT and couldn't find it. Looks like Rudy's singing career was on the ropes by the late 30s judging by these records!

Thanks, Marc.