Reverend J.M Gates

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Reverend J.M Gates

Post by travisgreyfox »

I was wondering if anyone has a copy or has ever heard this song before? Maybe you just won the auction for this one? I wanted to bid on it but I forgot the auction was ending :oops:
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Reverend J.M Gates

Post by Wolfe »

You can hear it on this mess of a YouTube video below. The actual record is sans footsteps.

I have the track on a Document CD of Rev. J.M. Gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3luGrVKy1Q

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

^ Thank you for the prompt reply. The record sold for $41 (shipped) It had chips and I believe a crack on one side that affected play. :?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Wolfe wrote:You can hear it on this mess of a YouTube video below. The actual record is sans footsteps.

I have the track on a Document CD of Rev. J.M. Gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3luGrVKy1Q
That video is baffling... what are the footsteps for? Not sure I would have paid $41 for the record, especially with damage...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ Considering the condition I wouldn't have paid that either. But if it's an especially rare title, some collectors might still want it. I think Rev. Gates recorded a fair number of sides over the years.

A late 1920's Rev. Gates 78 was included on Harry Smith's seminal Anthology of American Folk Music in the 1950's.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

At a recent CLPGS meeting devoted to unusual records I heard this. We were told that the Square Record Society releases were in small quantities, but that some of the more popular titles were later issued by larger record companies. Perhaps Bluebird was one.
Attachments
square.jpg

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Out of all the songs I have heard from Rev Gates, Death's Black Train is Coming is one of the best. I would love to own a copy.

-Travis

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

I really like these - I would like either of them.

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

IMO Gates is fascinating, Godrich and Dixon list over 100 discs - the Columbia 14000 series is popular. As far as the BB list, I saw one called Joe Louis Wrist and Fist - I never saw that one

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I remember years ago finding a Victor scroll by Reverend Gates called Sad Home Of Death/You've Got To Lay Down And Die Someday in a second hand store.I couldn't find it listed in any of my Victor catalogs.I also have another Scroll Victor by him,also the Columbia of Death's Black Train Is Coming.edisonplayerPS;One side of the other Victor scroll is "Adam And Eve In The Garden"
Last edited by edisonplayer on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.