Aeolian vocalion record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
VV XI
Victor Jr

Aeolian vocalion record

Post by VV XI »

Looking for a little info on a record. I can't find out much about these records but it seems that the 12000's are vertically cut. I have a #12083 - Arthur Fields - Your Boys On The Coal Pile Now. Is it a vertical cut record? Any links I can find for dates and other info?

Thanks Guys!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Aeolian vocalion record

Post by Curt A »

If you have the record, you should be able to tell by looking at it... The grooves appear finer and different than a standard 78, similar to a vertically cut Diamond Disc... Aeolian made both lateral and vertical cut records, but I don't know whether or not they fall into any number range.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VV XI
Victor Jr

Post by VV XI »

Can't tell by looking, the record has a lot of wear, not well taken care of. How much damage would I do if I played it on Victor?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Probably not much damage, since you said it is worn anyway. If it is a vertical cut record and you try to play it with a steel needle, it won't... it will skate across the record.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VV XI
Victor Jr

Post by VV XI »

It tried to play, followed the grove and I could hear something, but it sounded very low and very bad.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The vertical Vocalions could be like the early vertical Okeh's that were made to be played with a steel needle or sapphire ball. So, it may not skate, but you'll still get little to no sound with a lateral reproducer.

The Online Discography Project only picks up Vocalion at late 1919. I'm assuming that's the starts of the lateral records for them.

VV XI
Victor Jr

Post by VV XI »

I am going to guess it is a vertical cut record. I found something about it but not much. Thanks, I guess I'll hang on to the record, why I don't know...LOL

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

You can tell the vertical cuts from the laterals by the label. The vertical label has a 1916 copyright date under the name and the gold scrolls are on a red-orange background. Later labels have the copyright date below the title box- there are variations in colors but in general the gold scrolls will be on a black background. There is also a dark blur on light blye label, but ut says LATERAL right on it, so that is easy to tell.

I don't think Aeolian used red shellac on their verticals.

VV XI
Victor Jr

Post by VV XI »

estott wrote:You can tell the vertical cuts from the laterals by the label. The vertical label has a 1916 copyright date under the name and the gold scrolls are on a red-orange background.
Thank you very much that describes my record in detail.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

VV XI wrote:
estott wrote:You can tell the vertical cuts from the laterals by the label. The vertical label has a 1916 copyright date under the name and the gold scrolls are on a red-orange background.
Thank you very much that describes my record in detail.
If you have a tone arm that can be turned so the soundbox faces front, Aeolian verticals play using a steel needle. Sound quality can be very good.