Edison 5000 Series Blue Amberol Values

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Gatyam
Victor I

Edison 5000 Series Blue Amberol Values

Post by Gatyam »

Hello. I'd like to add some of the later-issue blue amberols to my collection, but from what I can tell the values seem to be all over the lot. Could someone help me get a little better calibrated on prices?

Thanks in advance!

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Edison 5000 Series Blue Amberol Values

Post by PeterF »

Value depends upon issue date, the selection, and the record's condition.

By this point in time (5000s started in early 1925), they are all dubs from Diamond Discs and thus the quality is one generation removed from that of the disc version of the same selection - so although some late cylinders are dubbed from electrically recorded discs, there are not any electrically-recorded cylinders.

Cylinder sales were dismal in the late 20s, so not many were pressed and not many were sold. So the highest priced >5000 cylinders are those with the highest catalog number, in the best condition, with the hottest tunes. A matching box lid (with the artist name, catalog number, and song title) also helps raise the value.

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

Interesting. Good info, thank you PeterF. With the understanding that price depends on the cylinder number, the material, and the condition, is there any sort of "normal" price range?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

$1 - $800

Really it’s a matter of luck and desire. If you’re lucky, they turn up in piles of otherwise uninteresting cylinders, for cheap. And if you really desire a certain cylinder, you’ll find a way to rationalize the price you’ll pay.

Poke around the “sold” listings on eBay and you can get an idea of pricing.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

I wish I had one of these to sell! ($2,817.76)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5709-Edison-Bl ... 7675.l2557

Cheers, Bob S.
Attachments
5709.jpg

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

Wow...so I guess the new range is $1 to $2,817.76.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Even though that cylinder is not a "hot" tune, it seems to be an inspirational type, which would explain the price... :shock: :roll: 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80KSdoj7Ig
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Curt A wrote:Even though that cylinder is not a "hot" tune, it seems to be an inspirational type, which would explain the price... :shock: :roll: 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80KSdoj7Ig
It's more based on the very late number (5709) which means it was pressed in a quantity of (likely) 100 or less. This is by far the highest price individual BA I've ever noted. The most expensive lot I've seen had 5708 and 5709, plus 5696 and 5697, 5515, and 5478. That sold for $1776 in 2002.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I presume the only attractiveness of these late amberols is their scarcity, as they are all dubbed from DDs, so soundwise buying the DD would be a better choice. On the high-price example, I would not want to listen to such tune more than once, neither ...

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

CarlosV wrote:I presume the only attractiveness of these late amberols is their scarcity, as they are all dubbed from DDs, so soundwise buying the DD would be a better choice. On the high-price example, I would not want to listen to such tune more than once, neither ...
Yes, these are generally bought by people who are trying to build a complete set of BAs. Similarly, the records in the educational series of BAs, which have numbers in the regular popular series, are very rare and expensive, but you'll never listen to them. I've only seen 2 of these offered for sale in the last 20 years and both went for several hundred dollars.