Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

The Preacher and the Bear Arthur Collins - DD: 1919

Post by Edisonfan »

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: The Preacher and the Bear Arthur Collins - DD: 1919

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The lyrics are different from the 1913 Blue Amberol version of this--I actually like this one better. The 1905 Gold Moulded is a lusty ragtimer when Collins was in his prime, the 1913 isn't so great,but this one is long enough to enjoy and clear enough to hear the lyrics.

I also like how, when our unlucky minister of the Gospel challenges Br'er Bear to a bear-knuckle brawl, he says "Marquis of Queensbury rules." On the 1913 cylinder record the lyrics are "Mar-Qweese of COONS-bury"--rather unfortunate so whatever.

It still doesn't matter what record one has. If you have "Preacher and the Bear," you've got one of the funniest old records ever made. I actually bought my first 2-minute phonograph just so I could hear a wax record I found of that song...

Arthur Collins is awesome.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I forgot how many different versions of this song, there are.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The first Blue Amberol issued of this song was molded from wax Amberol masters and is announced. It is my understanding that this is the only announced Blue Amberol ever issued. Edison then, as soon as possible I believe, recorded and issued the song without the announcement. Then, sometime later, they issued a dubbed version of the cylinder.

Jim

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

phonojim wrote:The first Blue Amberol issued of this song was molded from wax Amberol masters and is announced. It is my understanding that this is the only announced Blue Amberol ever issued. Edison then, as soon as possible I believe, recorded and issued the song without the announcement. Then, sometime later, they issued a dubbed version of the cylinder.

Jim
There are a few announced Blue Amberols, but this is the only one in the popular series and only some copies are announced. Here's a past thread on the topic:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... e+amberols