The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reproduction Cylinders and Discs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:51 pm 
Victor V
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
There are so many great titles to make, it would be nice to see upcoming releases of the following selections on cylinder or Disc.

Susianna - Piccadilly Players

I want to be Bad - Ermine Calloway

Makin’ Whoopee - B.A. Rolfe

Post subject: Re: Reproduction Cylinders and Discs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:39 pm 
Victor III
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Amen on the B.A. Rolfe record! Anything and everything by them is really good--prefer to see it on cylinder.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:08 am 
Victor IV
Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan
hey guys, Don Wilson has made Makin' Whoopee on DD already from my original. In fact, he said it was his best seller. Also I want to be bad I believe has already been made by Norman and maybe Don. Susianna I don't think has been made by anyone, but I have an original DD if Don wanted to make it. But I don't think it's well enough known to be a big enough seller to reproduce.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:16 am 
Victor III
marcapra wrote:
hey guys, Don Wilson has made Makin' Whoopee on DD already from my original. In fact, he said it was his best seller. Also I want to be bad I believe has already been made by Norman and maybe Don. Susianna I don't think has been made by anyone, but I have an original DD if Don wanted to make it. But I don't think it's well enough known to be a big enough seller to reproduce.

As Marc mentioned, I do have "Makin Whoopee" and "I Want To Be Bad" available on DD. I had not heard of "Susianna" before and just looked it up on Youtube... it's definitely a good song.
The Berliner Archive Project:
Lend me your Berliners to be molded and get your originals back plus free copies!
See the current status here = http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32545

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 am 
Victor V
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
donniej wrote:
marcapra wrote:

As Marc mentioned, I do have "Makin Whoopee" and "I Want To Be Bad" available on DD. I had not heard of "Susianna" before and just looked it up on Youtube... it's definitely a good song.

Susianna is good for a Diamond Disc or even as a Needle type 78. Susianna has a very warm sound, I really like that short intro, has some beat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 pm 
Victor III
I'm hoping to soon locate a copy of Johnny Marvin's "Jersey Walk". This one is peppy, fun and probably what the kids who were into the "fad of the moment" were listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHTUWdniwo
The Berliner Archive Project:
Lend me your Berliners to be molded and get your originals back plus free copies!
See the current status here = http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32545

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:19 am 
Victor II
Victrolacollector wrote:
There are so many great titles to make, it would be nice to see upcoming releases of the following selections on cylinder or Disc.

Susianna - Piccadilly Players

I want to be Bad - Ermine Calloway

Makin’ Whoopee - B.A. Rolfe

The Ermine Calloway version of "I Want To Be Bad" that Don copied came from my original MINT copy of the diamond disc. You will not find another copy better than the one Don Wilson has to offer unless you are lucky enough to find an original. Thanks! Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:21 pm 
Victor IV
donniej wrote:
I'm hoping to soon locate a copy of Johnny Marvin's "Jersey Walk". This one is peppy, fun and probably what the kids who were into the "fad of the moment" were listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHTUWdniwo

That was a show tune, performed in Ohio by Marvin during a scene change in "Honeymoon Lane". Tremendously popular number in 1926. His Columbia recording is fairly easy to find:

https://youtu.be/HWAlgSGtQpc

And his Victor waxing with the Roger Wolfe Kahn organization is downright common, for good reason; it's wonderful!

https://youtu.be/dPo5-Eb9ZQU