Identifying Edison Cylinder Record Box Types

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Gatyam
Victor I

Identifying Edison Cylinder Record Box Types

Post by Gatyam »

I imagine there are good articles about cylinder record boxes somewhere on the forum, but I haven't been able to find them. Help, please.

Thanks!

Victor VI

Re: Identifying Edison Cylinder Record Box Types

Post by 52089 »

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

Great info, thanks!

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

Does the Koenigsberg book have illustrations? Does anyone have a copy of the latest edition for sale?

Thanks.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Gatyam wrote:Does the Koenigsberg book have illustrations? Does anyone have a copy of the latest edition for sale?

Thanks.
Yes, there are "flattened" versions of each label illustrated in black and white. The book is long out of print and generally sells in the $75 range. The bulk of the book is a reprint of the Deakins Edison cylinder index, with various corrections, but there is other significant info in it as well.

max_phenol
Victor O

Post by max_phenol »

Gatyam wrote:I imagine there are good articles about cylinder record boxes somewhere on the forum, but I haven't been able to find them. Help, please.

Thanks!
A while ago I started a Facebook group that is entirely focused on cylinder record boxes. And I plan to do a book focused on the packaging and label variations of cylinder records too, though that will take a couple of years to be available. So, for the moment you may join the Facebook group.

Helmut

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I hope to see a picture of the Biglow & Main Cylinder that you bought from me in your book. Of the 36 Biglow & Main Cylinders I had I only kept Cylinder S-1 The Ninety and Nine by Ira Sankey.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
9C7D1D8B-2E8E-41D2-8BBA-932104BB3E9B.png

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

Thanks, Helmut. I'm not a Facebook member, but I'll look forward to your book when it's available.

max_phenol
Victor O

Post by max_phenol »

rgordon939 wrote:I hope to see a picture of the Biglow & Main Cylinder that you bought from me in your book.
Yes, sure. Of course that will be included in the book. Thanks again for your help, Richard!

For all that are not on Facebook and don't want to wait until my book is out (mind that will not be in the next few years!), here's the link to my small website where I show at least a few unusual cylinder boxes ... plus unusual 78s labels and poster stamps related to antique records: http://www.phonoobsession.de/intro.html ... I will add new images frequently.

Also if anyone has unusual cylinder boxes, please get in touch with me. I would be interested in getting photos to include them in the book.

Thanks!
Helmut