"Brown Sugar" on DD - Joe Candullo

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

"Brown Sugar" on DD - Joe Candullo

Post by donniej »

I really enjoy this one, it's one of the better Charlestons on DD. I'll soon be resuming molding work and am debating reproducing this one too. Would anyone be interested?

https://youtu.be/R1TMMhJL2c4

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: "Brown Sugar" on DD - Joe Candullo

Post by Lucius1958 »

Very interested!

Bill

tubaphone
Victor Jr

Post by tubaphone »

I will take a copy. Hope you will consider duplicating some of the other great sides by Joe Candullo and His Everglades Orchestra. Also if you can find copies, Joe Herlihy and His Orchestra along with any of the sides by Red & Miff's Stompers.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Yes Red and Miff... they are good too!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I love Candullo's DD of The Birth of the Blues. I bought a copy, but mine has a lamination crack in it that causes a tick, darn it. Candullo has another great record of Bass Ale blues where a tuba takes the lead! I have Phil Napoleon DD's and some Red and Miff.

tubaphone
Victor Jr

Post by tubaphone »

Mark Capra great suggestions. The Joe Candullo recording of 'Bass Ale Blues' is high on my want list. As you said it has really good tuba solos in it. Any of the sides by Phil Napoleon and Red & Miff are also high on my want list.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

tubaphone wrote:Mark Capra great suggestions. The Joe Candullo recording of 'Bass Ale Blues' is high on my want list. As you said it has really good tuba solos in it. Any of the sides by Phil Napoleon and Red & Miff are also high on my want list.
Candullo also recorded Bass Ale Blues for Victor and Harmony, the latter being my personal favorite.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I found that Red and Miff's DD's as well as Phil Napoleon's DDs almost impossible to find until I had the opportunity to cherry pick Ron Dethlefson's new old stock DD collection one day along with some other members of the Golden State Phonograph Society, several years ago.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Copies are now available!