Roosevelt's Address to Congress Part 1 December 8, 1941

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
85corvetteman
Victor O
Personal Text: Vic II, Vic III, Schoolhouse, VV 8-4, VV-130, VV-280, VE-XVI, VV-VIII, VV-IV, VV-VI, Credenza

Roosevelt's Address to Congress Part 1 December 8, 1941

Post by 85corvetteman »

https://youtu.be/yOPACHne1nU

In remembrance of the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941.......

Hope this works. First attempt at posting using a link from YouTube.
Played on my little VV 4-3 orthophonic. Thought about playing it on the Schoolhouse but figured it would have been too loud.

Terry

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Roosevelt's Address to Congress Part 1 December 8, 1941

Post by travisgreyfox »

wow, thanks for posting. I would love to own that record. Do you have a pic of it handy?

-Travis

85corvetteman
Victor O
Personal Text: Vic II, Vic III, Schoolhouse, VV 8-4, VV-130, VV-280, VE-XVI, VV-VIII, VV-IV, VV-VI, Credenza

Post by 85corvetteman »

Travis,
Attached are pictures as requested. I also have an Eisenhower record related to D-Day order and one by Margaret Woodrow Wilson singing the Star Spangled Banner.
I found the Roosevelt one in an antique/junk store outside of Meridian, MS. A booth had an off name phonograph for sale with some records. I went thru the records and spotted the Roosevelt one. Took it to the counter and asked the lady if the person who owned the booth might consider selling just the record. She called the owner and I told her I would pay $5 for it. He said yes. I just like the content and the related history.
The other two record are just neat because of the labels and also the content. Eisenhower one is an older vinyl and cannot be played on a victrola. The Margaret Wilson one is shellac.

Terry
Attachments
Wilson side 2
Wilson side 2
Wilson Side 1
Wilson Side 1
Eisenhower Side 2
Eisenhower Side 2
Eisenhower Side 1
Eisenhower Side 1
Roosevelt Side 2
Roosevelt Side 2
Roosevelt Side 1
Roosevelt Side 1

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Very cool. Both records seem to sell from about $30 to $50. Not too bad considering the history. I guess I will have to hunt them down. Thanks for the pics and info.

P.S If you want to make your money back, plus some I'll give you $6 for it :D

-Travis

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You might also find the speech on this label:
HistoricalFDR12-8-41.jpg
A portion of the speech can also be found on this one:
HistoricalFDRWOR.jpg
George P.

85corvetteman
Victor O

Post by 85corvetteman »

Those are neat that George has shown too !!
Suggest you just set you up some saved searches on eBay and be patient. As we all know, some folks on eBay think even most common records are worth $$$$. My wife wanted a Judy Garland - Over the Rainbow. Another one that is always outrageously priced. I kept looking and finally got one for $12.50 which I thought was outrageous (because I’m cheap) but the wife was happy so life is good. Lol
Several years ago at an estate sale I bought what I estimate to be 2500-3000 records for which ended up being around ten to twelve cents each. That’s the kind of pricing I like !!! I haven’t had time to go thru them all but did find a pristine Annette Hanshaw and some old blues records in the lot. Now that I’m retired I need to start going thru the lot to see what I can find.

Good luck on the thrill of the hunt.

Terry

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

85corvetteman wrote:Those are neat that George has shown too !!
Suggest you just set you up some saved searches on eBay and be patient. As we all know, some folks on eBay think even most common records are worth $$$$. My wife wanted a Judy Garland - Over the Rainbow. Another one that is always outrageously priced. I kept looking and finally got one for $12.50 which I thought was outrageous (because I’m cheap) but the wife was happy so life is good. Lol
Several years ago at an estate sale I bought what I estimate to be 2500-3000 records for which ended up being around ten to twelve cents each. That’s the kind of pricing I like !!! I haven’t had time to go thru them all but did find a pristine Annette Hanshaw and some old blues records in the lot. Now that I’m retired I need to start going thru the lot to see what I can find.

Good luck on the thrill of the hunt.

Terry
LMAO- Well, at least you admit being cheap and you made it pay off. If I kept track of what I spent on records over the last 50 years I'd probably cry, and if my wife knew it'd be the rolling pin for sure... nonetheless I enjoy my overwhelming collection.

I've seen that speech pressed on Columbia also. It used to be one of the most common records out there and pretty sure it appeared on all labels. Now it is getting tough to find!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

gramophone-georg wrote:I've seen that speech pressed on Columbia also. It used to be one of the most common records out there and pretty sure it appeared on all labels. Now it is getting tough to find!
It does indeed exist on red Columbia, and it's a nice quiet pressing. I've also got the Victor, Diamond and WOR issues, none of which I actually looked for, they just happened to be in with collections I've bought. The Victor seems to be the one that turns up the most, I've probably had 5 or 6 copies pass through my hands over the last 10 years.

Sean