Yes, Sir!, that's my junk shop find

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Yes, Sir!, that's my junk shop find

Post by Wolfe »

If anyone has or has heard those old Nimbus 'Prima Voce' CD's, those used an EMG with a thorn needle playing the records in their reverberant 'Ambisonic' chamber, captured by a stereo microphone setup.

Never liked those CD's though. In that case, the machine sounded too distant and completely absent any bass.

'Scuse the O/T thread drift....

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:If anyone has or has heard those old Nimbus 'Prima Voce' CD's, those used an EMG with a thorn needle playing the records in their reverberant 'Ambisonic' chamber, captured by a stereo microphone setup.

Never liked those CD's though. In that case, the machine sounded too distant and completely absent any bass.

I don't like the Prima Voces either. And especially bad with electrical recordings.

I prefer Marston's work hands-down.

Steven

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

A couple of great tunes.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Viva-voce wrote:
Wolfe wrote:If anyone has or has heard those old Nimbus 'Prima Voce' CD's, those used an EMG with a thorn needle playing the records in their reverberant 'Ambisonic' chamber, captured by a stereo microphone setup.

I don't like the Prima Voces either. And especially bad with electrical recordings.

I prefer Marston's work hands-down.

Steven
To really get the best of an acoustic talking machine one needs either three or four microphones. One, preferably a diaphragm type dynamic near the edge of the mouth of the horn (this microphone very strongly emphasizes any bass notes), with the diaphragm parallel to the horn's face. A second may be placed about two or three feet in front of the machine pointed directly into the center of the horn. Then a pair (for stereo) or a single (for a monaural mix) of fine quality condenser microphones placed well back in the room, which must of course have excellent acoustics. One may mix down directly, but I find that four track recording is better, as one may adjust the mix at will.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Great find. Sound great on the Expert too!

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Thank you for your kind words. My apologies for the very late response, but I moved in the fall and haven't been on the TMF for months. It is only because the one and only Graham Rankin was just visiting me, and told me of your post. What a great man - full of knowledge and love of music. We listened to many records - he even had me play my now neglected Victor Credenza, on which the EMG sits (it took me a while to find the soundbox for the Credenza) which was an interesting comparison, as I hadn't heard it since I acquired the EMG. For those interested, I use a Canon 5D Mark II digital SLR camera to record the videos that I post to YouTube, with a Zoom H4 recorder plugged directly into the camera for the microphones. The H4 is set about 7 feet from the mouth of the horn. Again, thank you for your comment - quite a bit of effort goes into the videos I post.
Wolfe wrote:Fun stuff.

This guy's EMG vids are something. Uncanny holographic quality on some of the records he plays with his setup, moreso perhaps on accoutical records than electric. Any gramophone in the world I want to own, it'd be his.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4qSUHfB2W0[/youtube]

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Thank you for your kind words. My apologies for the very late response, but I moved in the fall and haven't been on the TMF for months. It is only because the one and only Graham Rankin was just visiting me, and told me of your post. What a great man - full of knowledge and love of music. We listened to many records - he even had me play my now neglected Victor Credenza, on which the EMG sits (it took me a while to find the soundbox for the Credenza) which was an interesting comparison, as I hadn't heard it since I acquired the EMG. For those interested, I use a Canon 5D Mark II digital SLR camera to record the videos that I post to YouTube, with a Zoom H4 recorder plugged directly into the camera for the microphones. The H4 is set about 7 feet from the mouth of the horn. Again, thank you for your comment - quite a bit of effort goes into the videos I post.
Ah-ha, I thought you were a member here! I still remember the day you brought home that Mk IX and we exchanged many messages about them. I thought I had recalled you telling me about the recording setup you used, I guess my memory isn't so dim after all :lol:

I only wish I had the time to post videos of mine with such a setup, but it just isn't possible.

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

BassetHoundTrio wrote:Thank you for your kind words.
No problem ! :coffee:

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Yes, sir, that's my baby is a song that I consider one of the iconic signature tunes of the 1920s. To me it compares with the great Charleston. what are some other iconic tunes of the 20s? Another one would be Has anybody seen my gal? and maybe Bye, bye blackbird.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

marcapra wrote:Yes, sir, that's my baby is a song that I consider one of the iconic signature tunes of the 1920s. To me it compares with the great Charleston. what are some other iconic tunes of the 20s? Another one would be Has anybody seen my gal? and maybe Bye, bye blackbird.
I have all of the above, but it took me many years to find the Charleston.
Another iconic 1920's tune is "I wonder where my baby is tonight?" which I have by Sam Lanin on Imperial and Percival Mackey on Columbia.