Clico record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Clico record

Post by eighteenbelow »

After decades of collecting machines and 78's, I thought I'd seen just about everything, but I recently found this buried in a large pile of 78's (mostly post-WWII) at a yard sale, and I'm mystified. It's 10 inches and one-sided, so I'm guessing it's from the first decade of the Twentieth Century, but who knows? Are these uncommon, or is it just me? Does anyone have any? Does anyone have any information about the label and/or the company? Anyone have a date, or at least a year, for this? Thanks!
Attachments
20181219_162123.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Clico record

Post by phonogfp »

Clico was one of the labels pressed by the International Record Company in the 1906-07 period. Pressings were made at the Auburn Button Works (Auburn, NY), and the same selections can be found on other IRC labels such as Excelsior, Faultless Concert, etc.

These records are all single-sided. IRC's operations were suspended after June 1907.

Hope this helps.

George P.

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Thanks! Very interesting. I don't know much about IRC; is there anywhere I can read up on it? And do you happen to know anything about the Clinton-Close Company?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I know nothing about the Clinton-Close Company, other than it was a retailer in Toledo.

My information on IRC comes from a number of articles I've read over the years, and a book by Allan Sutton and Kurt Nauck titled, American Record Labels and Companies, An Encyclopedia (1891-1943).

Over the years, I've found a few Clicos, but it's not as common as Excelsior or some other IRC brands.

George P.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Interesting label you found. As mentioned by George, the Faultless Concert label was another of the IRC brands.
Faultless Concert Record.JPG

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

eighteenbelow wrote:.... I don't know much about IRC; is there anywhere I can read up on it? ...
The title, performer & record number (which appears on your pressing) are listed on this page -- http://www.78discography.com/IRC.htm -- along with a bit of information about IRC.

HTH,
OrthoFan
Last edited by OrthoFan on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

This is a picture of the International label. Very colorful.
Attachments
International.jpg
International.jpg (156.93 KiB) Viewed 1047 times