Click Repair No More?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
OrthoSean
Victor V

Click Repair No More?

Post by OrthoSean »

I recently replaced my two MacBook Pros with an iMac and long story short, my emails containing my license codes for both Click Repair and DeNoise were lost. I went to the Click Repair page and sent off a PayPal request to re-purchase both explaining my situation. Weeks passed with no response so I sent another last week and still nothing. The page seems to be still up to date and active.

Any ideas? I'm a little frustrated by all of this, I've owned both licenses for these for over ten years and this has been my go to program for cleaning up all sorts of analog audio files and now I can't do anything (and no, I don't want to use any other programs - this one was always the best for my needs).

Help?!

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Click Repair No More?

Post by Wolfe »

All I know is Brian Davies said he wasn't releasing any more versions of the program. The site with the links to exisiting programs does appear to be active.

I saved my CR download code on a backup drive. 8-)

I use CR often and I've considered the event of it's demise, it does happen.

Some have said iZotope denoising is better than CR, but it's also more expensive.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I knew no new versions would be released, but I've emailed Brian directly twice now and received no response whatsoever, I also emailed him through the site itself. That's odd to me because the last time I had an issue, he responded almost immediately. Backing things up to external and thumb drives has always been a practice of mine, BUT, when the external drive with said codes on it also fails, well, what are the chances, but it happened. The very first thing I did when I bought my new iMac was buy TWO external 8TB drives and have identical backups on each which may sound like overkill, but I have put thousands of hours of labor into digitizing my cylinders and 78s using both CR and DN and losing that stuff would be devastating to me. I have no issues with buying both programs again, things happen.

Sean

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

OrthoSean wrote:I knew no new versions would be released, but I've emailed Brian directly twice now and received no response whatsoever, I also emailed him through the site itself. That's odd to me because the last time I had an issue, he responded almost immediately. Backing things up to external and thumb drives has always been a practice of mine, BUT, when the external drive with said codes on it also fails, well, what are the chances, but it happened. The very first thing I did when I bought my new iMac was buy TWO external 8TB drives and have identical backups on each which may sound like overkill, but I have put thousands of hours of labor into digitizing my cylinders and 78s using both CR and DN and losing that stuff would be devastating to me. I have no issues with buying both programs again, things happen.

Sean
Maybe he is away for the holidays?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Someone on the Audacity forum - from a year ago - mentions that e-mail to Brian Davies also went unanswered. Davies is a retired math professor. Maybe he went on permanent holiday.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Wolfe wrote:Someone on the Audacity forum - from a year ago - mentions that e-mail to Brian Davies also went unanswered. Davies is a retired math professor. Maybe he went on permanent holiday.
Sorry that this guy let you down. I know what it is like to lose an important program that we use to preserve "our" music. Years ago when I got my first computer I purchase a program called Click and Pop Assassin for $600+ which was supposed to be a lifetime program. What they didn't tell me was that it came witb a floppy disc "key" that you had to use every time you loaded the program. A few years later and a few computers later I found out that the "key" was only good for 6 loads then you had to repurchase the program or lose all of your files. I opted not to pay that much money again. I was able to save some of my restorations by burning them onto a CD but will never trust any program of that type ever again. I do hope that you are finally able to at least get your pass codes to keep your files and continue to preserve the music we all love. Keep is posted! Best! Mark

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ Thanks, but it's OrthoSean that is having the issue. I'm still using ClickRepair quite happily.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

marco wrote:
Wolfe wrote:Someone on the Audacity forum - from a year ago - mentions that e-mail to Brian Davies also went unanswered. Davies is a retired math professor. Maybe he went on permanent holiday.
Sorry that this guy let you down. I know what it is like to lose an important program that we use to preserve "our" music. Years ago when I got my first computer I purchase a program called Click and Pop Assassin for $600+ which was supposed to be a lifetime program. What they didn't tell me was that it came witb a floppy disc "key" that you had to use every time you loaded the program. A few years later and a few computers later I found out that the "key" was only good for 6 loads then you had to repurchase the program or lose all of your files. I opted not to pay that much money again. I was able to save some of my restorations by burning them onto a CD but will never trust any program of that type ever again. I do hope that you are finally able to at least get your pass codes to keep your files and continue to preserve the music we all love. Keep is posted! Best! Mark
Yeah, I'm the one having the issues. Since I've heard nothing, my only hope is that I'll possibly get a response. It isn't exactly a pressing issue for me right this second, but it would be nice to have it back so when I'm ready to do more transfer work, I'll be all set, but who knows. I may end up having to invest in something else, which I really don't want to do.

Sean