Well I never knew that!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Well I never knew that!

Post by epigramophone »

I have just been given a copy of the 1937 film "Wings of the Morning", the first British film to be shot in Technicolour.

It's main interest to record collectors is the sequence in which John McCormack sings several of his most popular songs at a prestigious social gathering. Out of curiosity I looked at an on line review, and cannot resist sharing with you some of the howlers it contained, such as :

"He (McCormack) and an Italian tenor named Caruso share equal credit in developing the record industry as they both signed with Edison's fledgling RCA Victor label back in the day." :lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt alluding to the little black book which McCormack always carried on the concert platform, our reviewer reasoned that "He was 53 when Wings of the Morning was made and may have been sustaining memory problems......and had not sung for several years at that point." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really?

The trouble is that that some people will read that review and assume that it is accurate. This is how, if we are not careful, misinformation becomes accepted fact.

Merry Christmas.

Roger.
Attachments
WINGS-OF-THE-MORNING.jpg
WINGS-OF-THE-MORNING.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 977 times

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Re: Well I never knew that!

Post by Indestructible »

"The trouble is that that some people will read that review and assume that it is accurate. This is how, if we are not careful, misinformation becomes accepted fact."

I agree! I see that kind of thing happening all around me. My kids and even museums are turning lies and misinformation into the new truth. If this keeps up as it is our future generations are going to be living a lie. When will it end.
Anyways.... Great movie and thanks for sharing.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Well I never knew that!

Post by epigramophone »

Even the film, good as it is, contains a howler of it's own.

It starts in "Ireland 1890" and then moves on to "50 years later".

Wait a minute. That takes us to 1940, but the film was made in 1936 and released in 1937. Whoops! :oops: