The Making of New Diamond Disc "Art" Discs (Video)

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

The Making of New Diamond Disc "Art" Discs (Video)

Post by donniej »

With the recent discussion of splatter and color discs, I recorded my most recent experimentation with making multi-color discs with various patterns. For those of you who enjoy the more unusual discs I make, or just like to see how things are made, you may enjoy this video...

https://youtu.be/4c1Jhjc7w9I

marco
Victor II

Re: The Making of New Diamond Disc "Art" Discs (Video)

Post by marco »

donniej wrote:With the recent discussion of splatter and color discs, I recorded my most recent experimentation with making multi-color discs with various patterns. For those of you who enjoy the more unusual discs I make, or just like to see how things are made, you may enjoy this video...

https://youtu.be/4c1Jhjc7w9I
Interesting although the purist in me still likes basic black. It was nice to hear snippets of two of your copies of records l loaned you. Keep up the good work.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I enjoyed the video and I think that being creative with the manufacturing process looks like a lot of fun. The records sound really great! I hope you continue with your experiments. I quite liked the first test combining the two cups before pouring, but why didn't show the results on the other side? Are there limits to the color combinations in resin?
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

audiophile102 wrote: I quite liked the first test combining the two cups before pouring, but why didn't show the results on the other side? Are there limits to the color combinations in resin?
Thank you!
With the disc being "only" ¼" thick, it's easy to think of it in terms of two dimensions, but it in practice it really is three dimensional. Each different color is free to flow under the other, blocking the second color from showing through to the other side.
There is no limit to the number of colors that can be mixed, the only limiting factor is the time it takes to prepare all the colors. This particular polyurethane is slower setting, with approximately 15 minutes working time.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Colorful records go with colorful music!

Too bad I don't have a Diamond Disc phonograph nor the space for one, but you're doing good work.