QUESTION ON SPEAK-O-PHONE RECORD

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Pete Stratford
Victor II

QUESTION ON SPEAK-O-PHONE RECORD

Post by Pete Stratford »

I had an email from a lady who has this Speak-O-Phone record that is a recording made by her Great Aunt in 1932. She has never heard the content and would like me to play it for her so she can record it. One problem is that It says not to use steel needles. I would need some Bamboo needles which I do not have. What is the story behind these records. Was this something that you could have done at Worlds fair or something??
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: QUESTION ON SPEAK-O-PHONE RECORD

Post by CharliePhono »

In addition to fiber (bamboo) needles, I wonder if trailer needles could be used on it. You can see a picture of them on Soundgen's eBay listing at https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-trailer-ne ... 1916350856. I have some by Laubscher which I use on worn records or Hit-of-the-Week discs.

I notice how very similar the graphics on the record sleeve are to the silhouette graphics used on Victor's Orthophonic sleeves. I wonder if it was the same artist? Good luck with transcribing this record. Should be interesting.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I would suggest playing this on a modern turntable with a lightweight pickup and recording the result directly to tape or MP3. There are companies that will do this for you if you don't have the right equipment.

There were various ways to get a record made like that. When I was a kid, the local arcade had a small recording booth that made 7 inch 78 rpm acetates that could be played back on a home hifi. I still have 2 of them. Terrible rumble and background noise, but still nice to have.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Pete, I'll happily send you a few sample BCN thorn needles - the record would be perfectly safe with those or fibres (bamboos). Please PM me with your postal address if of interest. I've always really enjoyed helping families to hear personal records from the past like this.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

52089 wrote:I would suggest playing this on a modern turntable with a lightweight pickup and recording the result directly to tape or MP3. There are companies that will do this for you if you don't have the right equipment.

There were various ways to get a record made like that. When I was a kid, the local arcade had a small recording booth that made 7 inch 78 rpm acetates that could be played back on a home hifi. I still have 2 of them. Terrible rumble and background noise, but still nice to have.
Exactly. These play well with lightweight tonearms and a proper sized stylus. The ones I have if I recall correctly either require a smaller 2.0 or larger 4.0 mil over the "standard" 3.0 mil size. If you want to PM me and send the disc to me, I'd be glad to digitize it for you and return it using minimal noise reduction software. I have 10 different size custom styli and I'd be happy to do so for free.

Good luck,
Sean

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

Thanks for the kind offers. A fellow Canadian collector is mailing me a few bamboo needles which should work fine.

Pete

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Personally, I would take Sean up on his very generous offer... it's a no-brainer. Bamboo needles playing acoustically through a horn and trying to record it is not a wonderful solution...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife