The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petit Indestructible Cylinder Record
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm 
Victor Jr
A rare find - 2 minute black celluloid record made by the International Phonograph Indestructible Record Ltd., Liverpool. The original tin lid states "Petit's Patent". The cylinder has both a metal ring and a white plaster core. I do not have much information regarding the brand and its history, but there seems to be a connection to the International Talking Machine Co. (Odeon and Fonotipia disk records)?

Attachments:
94C2D7E0-F09D-43F8-B7D0-A3CB59959BDE.jpeg
94C2D7E0-F09D-43F8-B7D0-A3CB59959BDE.jpeg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Post subject: Re: Petit Indestructible Cylinder Record
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm 
Victor O
Going through life at 160 RPM
Very nice find!
I wish I had one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:47 pm 
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
The International Phonograph & Indestructible Record Co Ltd was established in Liverpool on 16th April 1902. Adamor N. Petit was a director and works manager.

In January 1903 the Lambert Company brought an action against International for infringement of their manufacturing patents. Lambert lost the case and appealed, but the appeal was dismissed in February 1904. In July 1904 International's assets were sold, but the manufacture and sale of records was continued by the similarly named International Indestructible Record Co until about 1907. I know of no connection with the International Talking Machine Co.

The cylinders were pirated copies of mostly Edison and Edison Bell originals. It was not until 1911 that the Copyright Act extended the protection of copyright to sound recordings. Then as now, legislation lagged behind technology.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 am 
Victor Jr
Many thanks for this interesting information!

It is remarkable that this cylinder dates from 1902/1903 - besides being black, its appearance resembles a Blue Amberol quite closely, including the plaster core and embossed title highlighted by white paint. Unfortunately, the disadvantage of being unplayable without "roaming" of the plaster core is present as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 am 
Victor I
I read somewhere that Petit committed suicide as a result of financial ruin as a result from the law suits.

I had several of these cylinders but the plaster would swell overtime and split the celluloid the full length of the cylinder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 am 
Victor Jr
That's interesting! Now I'm considering to precautionarily remove the entire plaster core from my example, as the celluloid itself is still undamaged. The plaster is badly cast and brittle - the black spot visible on the foto is actually a hole caused by a bubble.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 am 
Victor I
Accursius wrote:
That's interesting! Now I'm considering to precautionarily remove the entire plaster core from my example, as the celluloid itself is still undamaged. The plaster is badly cast and brittle - the black spot visible on the foto is actually a hole caused by a bubble.

That's a tough call. Personally I would rather have the cylinder split rather than remove the core. I cannot play the cylinder but the original is all there and actually shows what happens over time. Such a pity that the split in this way. I had about 10 of the cylinders and they all split close to the same time.