DC SIX & DC LIVE/Forensics Audio Restoration Tools

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
startgroove
Victor III

DC SIX & DC LIVE/Forensics Audio Restoration Tools

Post by startgroove »

Some fifteen years ago, I bought this CD and book set, to transfer and clean up some recordings of early Rock tunes on 78 rpm discs. I mainly wanted it for its noise reduction and equalization altering capabilities. I used it for a couple of years, and then went on to other things and filed it away on a back shelf. It turned up again in my latest re-organization mood. In re-reading the manual, I learned that it can be used to restore the sound from many sources, including cylinder and disc records, cassettes and other tapes.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone else used this tool kit, and if so, what are your impressions?
2. Are there any forums, links or user's groups that you know of for sharing experiences with the tool kit?
3. Are there other brands of audio restoration tools available?

In an online search, I learned that DC Eight is the latest version of this tool kit. Is anyone using that one?

Cheers, Russie

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: DC SIX & DC LIVE/Forensics Audio Restoration Tools

Post by Wolfe »

Diamond Cut has some CD's out now. I just noticed travelling over to their web page after reading your post. The Edison Lateral sound clips sound pretty good too. I may order one :

https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/product-category/music/

I had Diamond Cut software about 15 or so years ago, loaded on my first computer. IIRC, it was the "Millennium" version of DC. It was good for then, some of the features offered seemed even somewhat exotic for then. Loading it on a new computer (second I owned, with a new OS) saw some of it's features not work properly anymore. I'm not sure about newer DC products. Whatever audio manipulation software offers depends on your needs. There is some freeware now like Audacity that have tools to do a decent job of 78 cleanup, unless you are really persnickety. I'm currently partial to the NCH Wavepad, but the full featured version cost me like 30 dollars and was worth it.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I've used the Diamond Cut programs nearly since the very start, over 15 years. The learning curve, like any good program, was a bit steep, it seemed, in the beginning, but it's a very good program in my opinion, and you can use basic settings that produce good results and finesse your work as you become more skilled in audio restoration.
Over the years the costs of upgrading have been very reasonable. I've even talked personally on the phone with the program representative when I've had couple questions.
I use DC 8.5 right now and I'm very happy with it.
Bob Barnett
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Thank you both for your input. I'm thinking of loading the 6.0 version onto my laptop, a late HP Pavillion. Hopefully all of the functions will work. I'd like to experiment with cleaning up some scratchy and distorted wax cylinder recordings.