Kiddyphone Labels

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Gramtastic
Victor III

Kiddyphone Labels

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, this is a query about UK Kiddyphone records.I have recently bought some of these and amongst them was this record which has one style of label on one side (the smaller one with a red border) and another on the other side (the larger label without the border). I was aware there were two different stlyes of label but have never seen them on the same record. Would this record have been produced around the time they changed from on to the other, do you think ? Anyone know which was the earlier label and when they changed ??

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_8416.JPG
IMG_8415.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Kiddyphone Labels

Post by epigramophone »

Kiddyphone records were made in three different diameters, 5&½, 6 and 7 inches. Which one is yours? Confusingly, all three sizes had catalogue numbers running from No.1 onwards.

There seem to have been at least three label designs, the one pictured below having a yellow background. I do not know which was used when.

The records were made by Crystalate, who issued full sized discs on their Imperial label and another series of small children's records on their Mimosa label. Many of the Kiddyphone and Mimosa titles were edited versions of existing Imperials, hence the preponderance of "grown up" music.

The Kiddyphone machines were made by the famous toy firm Bing-Werke of Nuremberg.
Attachments
kiddyphone.jpg
kiddyphone.jpg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 638 times
kiddyphone_cat2.jpg
kiddyphone_cat2.jpg (46.78 KiB) Viewed 638 times

Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: Kiddyphone Labels

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks for the info - this one is a 7 inch.