Anyone remember John Charles Thomas?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Anyone remember John Charles Thomas?

Post by marcapra »

John Charles Thomas was an American opera singer, a baritone. He appeared in The Barber of Seville as the Barber and many other roles. I remember him from his 1957 appearances on You Bet Your Life, which I watched in the 1970s reruns. He denounced the latest fad of Rock 'n Roll music saying it was garbage. Groucho invited him back on the show to debate his position with an older lady who was an Elvis Presley fan. Very funny episode as Thomas sang Home, home on the range, while a young lady and Groucho danced to I'm All Shook Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=askyshysvbw

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Anyone remember John Charles Thomas?

Post by PeterF »

The girl in that episode was with Errol Flynn when he died...his 15 year old girlfriend. Yikes.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Thomas was the voice on early Explanatory Edison records. I found that out when one of my opera selections had a reverse Explanatory side that was obviously not Harry Humphrey. As a person also interested in old Radio I recall hearing him mentioned or on programs but off hand I couldn't say which ones.

Larry

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I don't remember him, he died in 1960, but I do have a number of his red seal discs. The records are very common.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thomas was the voice on early Explanatory Edison records.
Wow! I never would have thought that Thomas had anything to do with Edison DD's. Can you tell me what DD you found the Thomas spoken word explanation? Do you just think it was Thomas's voice or is it documented?

As to Beverly Aadland, she may have met Flynn when she was 15, but she was 17 at the time of his death in 1959. Although she looks more like 18 in the above You Bet Your Life episode from 1957, she was only 15! She died in 2010, aged 67.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

marcapra wrote:
Wow! I never would have thought that Thomas had anything to do with Edison DD's. Can you tell me what DD you found the Thomas spoken word explanation? Do you just think it was Thomas's voice or is it documented? ...
At least these two:

82076, Bellini: La Sonnambula, Act III -- Ah! non credea mirarti, sung by Anna Case

82098, Massenet: Le Cid, Act III -- Pleurez! Pleurez, Mes Yeux! sung by Julia Heinrich

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Thanks drh! Did you get this info from an Edison discography, and if so, which one? Marc.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Wolfe wrote:I don't remember him, he died in 1960, but I do have a number of his red seal discs. The records are very common.
I wish his records were common in the UK, but not many seem to have been issued by HMV. The few that appear on UK eBay are mostly Victors or Australian HMV's.

At least Nimbus Records issued two CD compilations on their Prima Voce serles, which I highly recommend.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

marcapra wrote:
Wow! I never would have thought that Thomas had anything to do with Edison DD's. Can you tell me what DD you found the Thomas spoken word explanation? Do you just think it was Thomas's voice or is it documented?

As to Beverly Aadland, she may have met Flynn when she was 15, but she was 17 at the time of his death in 1959. Although she looks more like 18 in the above You Bet Your Life episode from 1957, she was only 15! She died in 2010, aged 67.

If I recall it was though searching google for his name and found some old articles about him an one mentioned as a young man he worked for Edison adding the commentaries to the records. I wish I had written down where I found it.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Fine singer, but sometimes very "American" enunciation- could cone down hard on the "R's" and other consonants. This could be a legacy of his nine years on the Broadway stage.