The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another rare one: Edison Bell brown indestructible
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:24 am 
Victor I
Another in my collection;
Edison Bell indestructible brown ... Watermelon on a vine.

I believe these were made for Edison bell by the Lambert Co. Same construction as the lamberts and they come in pink, black, and brown.
I believe the brown is the hardest to find.

Attachments:
eb2.jpg
eb2.jpg [ 98.66 KiB | Viewed 517 times ]
eb3.jpg
eb3.jpg [ 70.74 KiB | Viewed 517 times ]
eb.jpg
eb.jpg [ 121.46 KiB | Viewed 517 times ]

Post subject: Re: Another rare one: Edison Bell brown indestructible
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:25 pm 
Victor Jr
Beautiful! I must admit that I have never seen a brown one before - I wonder whether this may be the "natural" color of the celluloid - it would not have made much sense imitating brown wax while around the same time, the big manufacturers changed to black. At least this is finally a brown cylinder not being endangered of growing mold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:12 pm 
Victor I
Very nice. Nice to see too. I have never seen any Edison Bell cylinders and this one is darn special I think. I do love Edison Bell as my first machine (disc) was/is an Edison Bell. A nice little machine too. Light as a feather about the size of my HMV 145. Lighter and more style too!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 am 
Victor III
I agree with the OP. It is certainly a hard to find one..

There is certainly a Lambert connection to this cylinder...No question...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:43 pm 
Victor I
Hi All , to set the record straight ( no pun intended ! ) as many of you seem to have inaccurate ideas when it comes to the relationship of the different colours of the Edison - Bell Indestructible records. First sold in UK in 1902 , the pink Edison Bell Indestructibles were indeed manufactured for Edison-Bell by The Lambert Company of Chicago, mostly using masters recorded in London by Edison-Bell, but there were also some records that used masters recorded by Lambert -- notably in a 9000 number series. All Edison Bell Indestructibles are announced as such . During 1903 Edison- Bell started to manufacture Indestructibles themselves in London , in April of that year and were BROWN in colour. Why Brown I may hear one or two of you say ? well that was the normal colour of most cylinder records available in the UK in 1903 -- Edison -Bell were then producing their wax "Populars " in brown, their first black MOULDED records not being produced until the late Autumn of that year. By August of 1903 , the colour of the Indestructibles had changed to Black celluloid in line with the wax cylinders then being produced by Edison Bell. So >>> Please note >>> PINK Edison Bell Indestructibles were made by Lambert ,1902 - 03 BROWN and BLACK Edison Bell Indestructibles were made by EDISON BELL in London, BROWN from April to August 1903 and BLACK from 1903 to 1906 ( the last Edison Bell Indestructibles were marketed as Edison Bell Ebony Records )! Regards Dulcetto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:03 pm 
Victor V
Dulcetto wrote:
Hi All , to set the record straight ( no pun intended ! ) as many of you seem to have inaccurate ideas when it comes to the relationship of the different colours of the Edison - Bell Indestructible records. First sold in UK in 1902 , the pink Edison Bell Indestructibles were indeed manufactured for Edison-Bell by The Lambert Company of Chicago, mostly using masters recorded in London by Edison-Bell, but there were also some records that used masters recorded by Lambert -- notably in a 9000 number series. All Edison Bell Indestructibles are announced as such . During 1903 Edison- Bell started to manufacture Indestructibles themselves in London , in April of that year and were BROWN in colour. Why Brown I may hear one or two of you say ? well that was the normal colour of most cylinder records available in the UK in 1903 -- Edison -Bell were then producing their wax "Populars " in brown, their first black MOULDED records not being produced until the late Autumn of that year. By August of 1903 , the colour of the Indestructibles had changed to Black celluloid in line with the wax cylinders then being produced by Edison Bell. So >>> Please note >>> PINK Edison Bell Indestructibles were made by Lambert ,1902 - 03 BROWN and BLACK Edison Bell Indestructibles were made by EDISON BELL in London, BROWN from April to August 1903 and BLACK from 1903 to 1906 ( the last Edison Bell Indestructibles were marketed as Edison Bell Ebony Records )! Regards Dulcetto

Thank you for that information.

I bought a large collection of Lamberts several years ago and among them are a handful of band selections announced as being by the London Regimental Band (or something close to that, it's been awhile since I've played any of them!). Most of them are announced "Lambert Record", but at least one is announced "Edison Bell Record". They're all in Lambert boxes and most of them are black, yet they ALL carry Lambert catalog numbers. Curious. There's probably information readily available about these, but I haven't really been interested enough to dig further. My basic assumption has always been that masters were shared by both companies, am I correct?

Sean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:05 pm 
Victor I
Hi Sean , Yes , the masters seem to have been shared to some degree , as Edison - Bell's London band recordings ( London Regimental Band , London Concert Orchestra ) were used by Lambert for their US domestic catalogue. Interestingly , when the Lambert company set up their British branch in 1904 , their first records issued were all from masters recorded for them by Edison - Bell , and the artists credits on the Lambert records were indeed the same as the regular Edison - Bell credits where that artiste had also made Edison - Bell records . All interesting stuff ! Regards Dulcetto