Molding and Casting a Record That Actually Plays

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Molding and Casting a Record That Actually Plays

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Has anyone done this with the Smooth-0n or any other product?

https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/mol ... hat-plays/

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Molding and Casting a Record That Actually Plays

Post by rgordon939 »

Would this process work with cylinders also ?

Rich Gordon

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Y'all need to talk to Don Wilson, aka donniej here on the Forum.

I haven't sampled his massive disc catalog because of the cost, but I did buy a copy of "Maple Leaf Rag" played by Scott Joplin himself, electrically recorded to an 8" 78 record fit for a Victrola. The fidelity was mind-blowing and the performance was top notch, considering Joplin himself played.

I'd say that was pretty good talent scouting on the part of Don Wilson's records--get records from a dead guy that never made a 78 in his life.

The secret? Piano "reproducing rolls."

But it was a resin record. Unfortunately my copy has worn out rather quickly, but his newer discs are said to wear like Victor batwing records. Check with him.

Charles

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Has anyone done this with the Smooth-0n or any other product?

https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/mol ... hat-plays/
Yup. It's basically like vinyl. You can use a bamboo or similar needle but not steel. Also, unless the polyurethane is vacuum degassed and pressure cast, the grooves will be full of tiny air bubbles. Task 6 will work with no special equipment but is only suitable for playing on modern lightweight electric turntables. Even then longevity of a Task 6 record would be questionable.

Regarding cylinders, discs are two dimensional castings, cylinders are three. I can only speculate that this would require a rigid support structure to maintain proper shape. The orientation of the vertical casting puts the grooves in the perfect position to catch air bubbles, so it would almost definitely need to be pressure cast. Hopefully Rob or Norman will clarify if I'm mistaken.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

This place is practically in my back yard. It occupies the former Day-Timers building, which was vacated a few years ago when that company was sold and moved to Sidney, NY. Smooth-On is the same firm that was featured in our local newspaper some months ago; they make theatrical props. See https://www.smooth-on.com.

I've never used the product(s), but I can see a ready use for model builders such as model railroaders, for casting scenery details and other items.

Not mentioned is how the record center hole is produced. But I guess you don't need one if you play it on a "Victrola turnstile," as mentioned in the tutorial, step 5.

BusyBeeCylinder
Victor I

Post by BusyBeeCylinder »

Making a disc record that will play on an acoustic phonograph without wearing quickly is not nearly as easy as the smooth-on page would indicate. The stock resins are just not the proper material.

I did some experiments of my own at one time.
(you can see/hear the results by clicking on the youtube link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1S19e3G7qY

This record is made of a "proprietary" blend of materials using a small amount (<20%) of resin as binder.

The record holds up to repeated plays on my Edison C-2 but the noise level isn't what I would consider acceptable. The blend is too expensive and requires too much work to produce a sellable product.

Cylinders as Don points out is a whole other ball game...I've got thousands invested in equipment.