Recordio Record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Recordio Record

Post by travisgreyfox »

A little back story: Yesterday morning I stopped at an estate sale and they had a pretty good selection of early 1940s records. I found 3 or 4 nice ww2 patriotic tunes, a prewar blues, and a couple jazz that I like nothing super special. I also spotted this little Recordio Record (couldn't read and still cant read whats hand written on the label).

The only record player I have at the moment to play it is a really cheap crosly (victrola) suitcase player-yeah its terrible. Anyway, the record seems to be the sister, mother, and 2 friends? talking to a guy that just joined the Navy to go "fight the japs and germans".

The static is bad and I cannot hear what they are saying half the time. I know these records were made cheap, but I was wondering if anyone here specializes in recording these into an Mp3 format and can clean it up if I paid postage and mailed it to them?

If anybody is willing please let me know (thats if it is not too much trouble).

-Travis
Attachments
IMG_3564.JPG

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Recordio Record

Post by Wolfe »

Looks like Al something. The first letter of the second word I cannot fathom. Is it supposed to be an L or G or what ? Looks like a woman's writing.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Looks like "At Camp" to me.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Wolfe wrote:Looks like Al something. The first letter of the second word I cannot fathom. Is it supposed to be an L or G or what ? Looks like a woman's writing.

Maybe a B or an F?
Attachments
Untitled.png

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I cleaned the record off the best I could with soap and water and it now sounds a lot better. The sister is angry that her brother joined the Navy right before Christmas (guessing right after Pearl Harbor, because I believe in '42 you couldn't join and had to wait to be drafted). Sister says, "now you'll have to deal with Mom and Dad when you get home!" Bob and Agnes just got engaged, Bob says, "I'm over the moon about it". Mom says she is missing him so much and can't wait for him to call. She tells him that, "you boys are doing a great job, and should soon talk the Japs and Germans into their senses" I think the father says he is real patriotic and would have joined to fight too if he was younger.

That's at least what I think I hear :roll:

Some cleaned up audio on a better player would be great to preserve this micro-level of history we don't often get to hear.

-Travis

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Wolfe wrote:Looks like Al something. The first letter of the second word I cannot fathom. Is it supposed to be an L or G or what ? Looks like a woman's writing.
I read Al Casey.

Bill

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Travis, I'd be glad to digitize this for you. I have a selection of various custom size styli. I can do some light noise reduction and EQ if necessary. Up to you, PM me and we can discuss.

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The grooves of these home recorded discs tend to be cut with pretty wide grooves, don't they ?

Is like 4 mil stylus the thing one might preferably use ?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Wolfe wrote:The grooves of these home recorded discs tend to be cut with pretty wide grooves, don't they ?

Is like 4 mil stylus the thing one might preferably use ?
I've never found any real uniformity. Home cutting needles likely varied in radius at the tip, albeit slightly. I was messing around last week with some line checks from WABC that were done by someone who knew what they were doing, excellent quality, all the same Audiodisc blanks yet some need a 2.0, others a 2.8 or 3.0 and still others a 4.0 TE. I know the RCA pre grooved blanks of the 1930s require a 6.0 or 7.0 to get any good signal from them. With any of these, of course, quality can vary for several reasons which can be frustrating or fun, I suppose depending on how much patience you have.

Sean

bfinan11
Victor I

Post by bfinan11 »

I've found a bunch of these, usually a typical 78 rpm stylus (Shure N78S, 2.8mm) works quite well.

Semi-related question: one stack of them from 1941 was recorded at about 60 RPM. Was this ever standard or did someone have a wildly out of tune machine?