A mysterious sound at the beginning of some Victor records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: A mysterious sound at the beginning of some Victor recor

Post by Viva-voce »

For anyone who's interested, this recording is being offered in the current Nauck's auction, item #2155, minimum bid of $25. The listing mentions the Campbell's Soup factory whistle.[/quote]

Factory whistle or no, $25 seems to me a pretty steep minimum bid for a standard-issue, and not uncommon (although exquisitely sung) Galli-Curci record IMO, and not even in top condition.
If it were an autographed copy, then maybe yeah

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

From Naucks listing - "Campbell's soup noon-time factory whistle goes off twice ! "

If you interrelate an object with food it tends to make people want to pay more for it, or see it as desirable. People eat food. Usually with records that isn't easy to do. And then there's the people who will shell out 75 dollars for that record just to invite their 78 collector buddies over just to listen for the stupid whistle.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:From Naucks listing - "Campbell's soup noon-time factory whistle goes off twice ! "

If you interrelate an object with food it tends to make people want to pay more for it, or see it as desirable. People eat food. Usually with records that isn't easy to do. And then there's the people who will shell out 75 dollars for that record just to invite their 78 collector buddies over just to listen for the stupid whistle.
Yes it's unfortunate--and quite apart from a common victor red seal record worth $3-$5 at most with a $25 minimum bid, is the off-putting (to me) practice of posting a religious quotation which is unavoidable whenever the web page is accessed.

I guess I'm obviously not a fan...but maybe a heretic to some..

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Viva-voce wrote:
Wolfe wrote:From Naucks listing - "Campbell's soup noon-time factory whistle goes off twice ! "

Yes it's unfortunate--and quite apart from a common victor red seal record worth $3-$5 at most with a $25 minimum bid, is the off-putting (to me) practice of posting a religious quotation which is unavoidable whenever the web page is accessed.

I'm a good Catholic boy but Jesus said to give unto Caesar, and all that. I'm not a fan of getting forced religious or political guidance when I want to buy something and this is why I quit dealing with Nauck many years ago. If I want religion I'll go to Mass or check out the Pope's twitter feed. I certainly don't go to these places to buy records.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

gramophone-georg wrote:
Viva-voce wrote:

I'm a good Catholic boy but Jesus said to give unto Caesar, and all that. I'm not a fan of getting forced religious or political guidance when I want to buy something and this is why I quit dealing with Nauck many years ago. If I want religion I'll go to Mass or check out the Pope's twitter feed. I certainly don't go to these places to buy records.
Yup and yup

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

I trust those commenting on the availability of the record on an auction site was in no way to be construed as my attempt to plug said site. I was, until Viva-Voce's post, utterly unaware of the value of the Galli-Curci record. I accessed the auction list online to peruse it, and voila -- there it was, so as it pertained to the thread I thought I'd mention it. Perhaps that wasn't a good idea.

I will say that I share Viva-Voce's and George's sentiments regarding the more, er, ecclesiastical aspects of the auction company, but to each his or her own.

At any rate, I'm certainly no authority in the lofty realm of opera singers, but am -- like many of the unwashed masses of yore -- utterly captivated by many of the great singers, Galli-Curci being among them. I love the recordings of Tetrazzini and Ponselle, among others.

Soup, anyone?

~ Charlie

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

CharliePhono wrote:I trust those commenting on the availability of the record on an auction site was in no way to be construed as my attempt to plug said site. I was, until Viva-Voce's post, utterly unaware of the value of the Galli-Curci record. I accessed the auction list online to peruse it, and voila -- there it was, so as it pertained to the thread I thought I'd mention it. Perhaps that wasn't a good idea.

I will say that I share Viva-Voce's and George's sentiments regarding the more, er, ecclesiastical aspects of the auction company, but to each his or her own.

At any rate, I'm certainly no authority in the lofty realm of opera singers, but am -- like many of the unwashed masses of yore -- utterly captivated by many of the great singers, Galli-Curci being among them. I love the recordings of Tetrazzini and Ponselle, among others.

Soup, anyone?

~ Charlie
No worries Charlie, I didn't read your comment as an attempt to plug the site at all--I completely understood your good intentions.

As a young collector just discovering these great voices, I found it fun and easy to collect the good old Victor red seals of Caruso, Galli-Curci, Tetrazzini, etc, as most of them were, and still are, plentiful and inexpensive and copies can be found in near mint condition. They sold very well, and for good reason. To this day I still keep many of their records in my collection, as well as a healthy stack for playing on my Victor IV. What presence and vibrancy--it's almost as if they are in the room!

Should you want to purchase a copy of that lovely record, I can assure you there are many out there, in top condition, and could be had for much less than $25 :)

Steven

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I've always kind of wondered why Victor's top rank artists had to go to the Camden complex to record anyway. 90 or so miles from New York City was an all day affair in those days. Enrico Caruso Jr. writes about going out there with his dad. Victor had studios in New York City early on that they used. Edison, Columbia and other labels had New York studios. Why not let them record in New York? Especially during the Met season when when many of them were residing there. Making them travel out there to that ugly industrial pile to record, with whistles tooting, smokestacks blowin' just seems odd.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I am curious the identification of the whistle being the Campbell Soup Company.

The story I related to for many years was it was a Tug Boat whistle on the Delaware River. I understand Galli Curci made the record in a new studio in the tower overlooking the river.

Has anyone heard or dispelled this?

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Governor Flyball wrote:I am curious the identification of the whistle being the Campbell Soup Company.

The story I related to for many years was it was a Tug Boat whistle on the Delaware River. I understand Galli Curci made the record in a new studio in the tower overlooking the river.

Has anyone heard or dispelled this?
Yes the tug boat theory seems to be very plausible. One would think that Victor, being in such close proximity to the Campbell soup factory, would avoid scheduling recording sessions during times when the whistle would be sounding,

Another interesting thing is that they must have noticed those discordant tones when they listened to the test pressing prior to approval for release. Very strange, considering Victor's publicly stated commitment to never let a flawed recording reach the public.

Steven