Question About Columbia Labels

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Question About Columbia Labels

Post by SonnyPhono »

I was in an antique mall today and came across a stack of about 100 records. They were predominantly Columbia labels. I don't know too much about records yet so I wanted to ask a few questions to see if I should go back and pick them up.

First, does anyone know anything about the Columbia Flag labels? Are they rare or desirable? There were three or four in the bunch and were $3.00 each.

There were about a dozen or so Columbia labels that said "Exclusive Artist" under the Columbia. Are these worth buying for $2.00/each?

There were several Perfect labels. Are these rare at all? Sorry about all the newbie questions!! :oops:

Thanks for the help!

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Question About Columbia Labels

Post by Wolfe »

There's nothing particularly rare or intrinsically valuable about Flag or Exclusive Artist labels.
Both a lasted a just year or two in the catalog. Which is why, you tend not to see them as often as other Columbia designs.

'Exclusive Artist' was introduced around 1921 or so.

Flags, just a year or two preceding the electrical 'Viva Tonal' era.

For 2 or 3 bucks each, I would be looking at the music and condition of the records to judge whether I would purchase. :D You'll see plenty more of those Flags and E.A. labels as time goes on.

I don't think Perfect records are all that scarce, but it's a label that I would personally always look over if spying them in a box. They're certainly more rare than your Columbia and Victor and Brunswick, etc.