Cylinder Index Online?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
browncow
Victor Jr

Cylinder Index Online?

Post by browncow »

Does anyone know of an online index for cylinder record titles? What I am looking for is a complete cataloug of Edison 4 minute blue amberols. Any ideas?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Cylinder Index Online?

Post by gramophoneshane »

As far as I know, only the Edison 2 and 4 minute wax cylinders are listed online.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

This is a great book available from various sellers. A bit expensive though but lists alot of information about every recording.
Attachments
COVER_EBAnew.jpg
COVER_EBAnew.jpg (8.1 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I have a copy of "Edison Blue Amberol Records, A Discography (1912-1929)" compiled by Allan Sutton.

Send me a message if you need the recording dates for any Blue Amberols.

:squirrel:

Rocky

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Another cheaper alternative to Suttons book is a set of 3 books by W.S. & R.K. Wimmer called "Edison Blue Amberol" listed by number, artist & title. BUT what it says is what you get & nothing more. There is no information such as recording or release dates etc. All you get are the record number, song title & artist of all 4 minute BA's including the educational series, and all foreign series.
While they are very basic, I have found them very handy & easy to use, especially in online auction situations where the sellers will often only list either the song title or record number.
I have found the "listed by artist" volume fairly useless though, unless you're wanting to see for example, how many cylinders Olive Briscoe released along with their title & rec no.

You might have to shop around for a good price on these by the look of it though. I'm sure I paid about $30 for the 3 volume set, but I notice there are currently 2 copies of the "By Number" volume on ebay for BIN $22.50 each, but this is the volume I have found I use the most by far.