Shellac Record arrived Broken from Ebay seller on arrival

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Re: Shellac Record arrived Broken from Ebay seller on arriva

Post by ODIE3 »

man, that is a bummer. I actually want that record myself and my girls love that song! I have Patti / Hocus Pocus :)
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

btw, I have had good luck on this site for Shellac. Got a whole Ink Spot (vol 2) set and have some Hank and Bing coming soon.

https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=Patti ... c&type=all
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

ODIE3 wrote:btw, I have had good luck on this site for Shellac. Got a whole Ink Spot (vol 2) set and have some Hank and Bing coming soon.

Ill check it out, thanks!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Nigel wrote:
ODIE3 wrote:btw, I have had good luck on this site for Shellac. Got a whole Ink Spot (vol 2) set and have some Hank and Bing coming soon.

Ill check it out, thanks!
Yes, there are a few copies on there but on USA Mercury, which seems to have a different flip side, if that matters.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Discogs is not so much diff to the 'bay in that you are still buying from individual sellers who are members. Perusing records is more pleasurable on Discogs. I haven't found it so great for buying 78's as a whole, just 'cos out of the massive marketplace it's so skewed to vinyl and CD's only.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

that's true.

But I've been lucky that the sellers I have dealt with have mid / large inventories of shellac 78s. You buy from someone that has 2 shellac records and 100s of vinyl and CD's you are likely taking a chance.

But aren't we all taking a chance with these kinds of buys from complete strangers on the internet? The best you can hope for if it goes south on shipping, the seller refunds $$ and says sorry. Then you walk it off and try again.
-----------
Richard

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

So far I’ve only had one record show up broken and it was mostly my fault. That’s what I get for ordering a blue amberol in 10 degree weather. :monkey: Now I take NO chances when I buy records from eBay. I always check a seller’s feedback and what else they sell. If they have a good record (no pun intended) with shipping records I buy from them. If they don’t I’ll pass. When it comes to not having the record or having the record broken I’d rather just not have it. I also refuse to buy cylinders during the winter months!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I never knew celluloid cylinders actually broke in cold temps. :shock:

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Indeed they do.

Driving from South Carolina to Dallas, I lost two Blue Amberols in my suitcase tucked in the trunk of my friend's Chevrolet sedan.

One was a Manuel Romain record, which I found a new copy of (I think) and the other was a powder-blue copy of Will Oakland's "Silver Threads Among the Gold." Split both of them right down the seam.

As an aside, celluloid creates spectacular fireballs when ignited in a parking lot for the love of science!

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Wolfe wrote:Just stick to e-bayers who are experienced with 78's as evidenced by their feedback. There's like 107 threads on this very topic languishing in various forums on the TMF.
Exactly, if it’s not a experienced eBay seller that is experienced in 78’s I don’t bother. I have had too many broken 78’s from eBay sellers. Everything from broken records in a mailer etc.