Shellac Record arrived Broken from Ebay seller on arrival

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Nigel
Victor Jr

Shellac Record arrived Broken from Ebay seller on arrival

Post by Nigel »

Hello.

I dont know if anybody cares, but I would like to share this.

I bought a Record from a ebay seller. The singer on this record was Patti Page, Doggie in the window. WHen it arrived I was kind of shocked, because It only arrived in a piece of cardboard, and in the cardboard was the shellac record, only surrounded by a piece of plastic, not even bubble wrap or anything. I was kind of shocked and saw it coming before i opened it.

This made me a bit sad because, not only was this a hassle for me (and the seller), a piece of history, and another shellac record has been destroyed. it was in great condition too. This was my first buy on ebay, but I am kind of wondering why this seller didnt put it in a box, or put bubble wrap around it, or both.

Ill put up some pics so you can see for youself.

Also, I wonder if these records, particularly this one, is rare? I only saw 1 on ebay, I would love to own another one.

Anyway im kinda upset about it!

thanks
Attachments
1232131.jpeg
31312123.jpeg
23423432.jpeg

donniej
Victor III

Re: Shellac Record arrived Broken from Ebay seller on arriva

Post by donniej »

Sadly it happens all the time. Luckily the disc isn't hard to find and there's a copy on Ebay.co.uk for 2.50gbp...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATTI-PAGE-M ... 3013511634

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I too have received a broken record on ebay. Now if I buy a record from a seller I have not previously done business with, I send instructions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYO_2L8Wu8
Be sure to get your money refunded by messaging the seller with a photo of the record.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

On the rare occasions that I buy records by post, I also send the seller detailed packing recommendations, but some people will not be told.

The worst example of packing, or rather the lack of it, to come my way was Blue Amberol 1501, the first ever issued. It arrived in a used manilla window envelope with no protection other than it's original box and lid. I just managed to intercept the postman before he tried to ram it through my letterbox. It had survived the rigours of the post in perfect condition, but no thanks to the seller.

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

I will be appealing on ebay for this, but what made me more sad then anything, is that another in good condition record is destroyed forever.

also awesome video, im saving this one for future purchases!

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

After one to many records arrived in pieces, I started to let the seller know that early 78 records were made from shellac and not vinyl and break easily if not shipped in a good size box between pieces of cardboard and with a cushioning material surrounding them for protection. It has worked for the good so far and most sellers appreciate the instructions because they have no idea of what the records were made of or the proper way to ship. I think some phonograph/record collectors take for granted that those selling 78's know this---Herb

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Just stick to e-bayers who are experienced with 78's as evidenced by their feedback. There's like 107 threads on this very topic languishing in various forums on the TMF.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Sometimes exceptions have to be made when an inexperienced seller has a record I really want. This one arrived safely as the seller followed my recommendations :
Attachments
HMV GSS 1 001.JPG
HMV GSS 1 001.JPG (96.82 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

Wolfe wrote:Just stick to e-bayers who are experienced with 78's as evidenced by their feedback. There's like 107 threads on this very topic languishing in various forums on the TMF.

That's the thing. This seller claims to sells like a dozen a week, for 14 years (!) and i'm the first one that got a broken record. Atleast that is what he claims. But I guess those are Normal vinyl, so that would make sense, if thats the case.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Nigel wrote:
Wolfe wrote:Just stick to e-bayers who are experienced with 78's as evidenced by their feedback. There's like 107 threads on this very topic languishing in various forums on the TMF.

That's the thing. This seller claims to sells like a dozen a week, for 14 years (!) and i'm the first one that got a broken record. Atleast that is what he claims. But I guess those are Normal vinyl, so that would make sense, if thats the case.
Could be.

Not long ago I ordered a 78 album from a new e-bay seller. It wasn't a pricey album. The records were removed from the album, check. Wrapped in bubble wrap together, check. Then scrunched into a narrow box with the album on top of the records with just a single layer of cardboard between the bubble wrapped records and who knows what kind of heck they could be subjected to in shipping. I unwrapped those records expecting to find them shattered, but they survived.

Normally I stick with my own advice in the other post and don't have many problems. But now that I've said that...(knocks wood). :?