Is this Nicole Record legitimate?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Is this Nicole Record legitimate?

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

Hello.

I am going through a period where I am trying to purchase rare and early record labels for my small buy growing collection. One such record I would like to get is a Nicole record, which is a very early British record label made from an unusual material. I saw this one for sale but it seemed in far too good condition for being over 110 years old, so was wondering if you guys had any concerns with it? I don't hear too much about fake records but you never know. What are your thoughts on this, real or fake?

Thanks.
Attachments
0.png
00.png
000.png
0000.png

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Is this Nicole Record legitimate?

Post by Wolfe »

That record looks like about VG + condition to me, nothing exceptional. Certainly not a fake.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Josh Cattermole 1999 wrote:... but it seemed in far too good condition for being over 110 years old, ...
You'd be amazed at the excellent condition some very old records are in. I've quite a number of records past the 100-year mark that look and play as if they were brand new. It all depends on how often and carefully they were played, where they were stored over the decades, etc.

OrthoFan

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Not played is best. Not long ago I found a stash of oughts era early patents label and grand prize label Victors, opera records (of course, probably bought as status items). But they were immaculate, you could just smell the immaculate-ness and some of them would be getting on 115 years now.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

That's really amazing, and good news. I'll have to drop a bid on that record, it's pretty nice. And yes, I probably shouldn't be surprised how some old things can stay in good condition. I'm also a big coin collector, and it's extremely common to find 2000 year old Roman coins in mint condition. All comes down to storage I guess: if it's taken cared of then it'll be in good nick for years to come.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A brief history of Nicole records can be found here :

https://early78s.uk/n/

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Thank you very much. That is a very useful site and I use it quite a lot on researching the early labels. I'll give it another read. Can never learn too much in this hobby :)

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

I have a few Nicoles, one with a red label exactly like this (two very fine cornet solos by Charles Leggett – the record is double-sided) and two with the details printed in white directly on the celluloid surface. They have heavy background noise but are otherwise perfectly playable.

Oliver Mundy.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

That's brilliant. Cheers for that. Nice to know I'd be able to play one without too many worries.