Byron G Harlan Recording Unknown?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Byron G Harlan Recording Unknown?

Post by Edisonfan »

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

I know this is Byron G Harlan, I just do not know the recording? It is an Edison Record
Last edited by Edisonfan on Thu May 02, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Byron G Harlan Recording Unknown?

Post by FellowCollector »

Edisonfan wrote:I know this is Byron G Harlan, I just do not know the recording? It is an Edison Record
Paul,
The brown wax cylinder you're playing in the video is "Please Mister Conductor Don't Put Me Off The Train" by Byron G. Harlan.

I hope that you will accept a gentle suggestion when playing your brown wax cylinders. I see that you're using your Edison Home model B phonograph with (I'm presuming) a model C reproducer. I believe that in at least one of your earlier videos you feature a Columbia Eagle (model B) or Columbia Q. You might consider playing on one of those machines instead. The speed at which many brown wax cylinders were recorded and can therefore be played for optimal listening will vary quite a bit and you can easily change the cylinder rotation speed on the Eagle or the Q machines since it's exposed. The Home model B speed control is hidden under the bed plate which makes varying the speed from cylinder to cylinder tedious. You'll also be helping to reduce some wear on the brown wax grooves. Being a long time collector (and admirer) of early brown wax cylinders myself I can appreciate your sharing (and thereby preserving the sound from) the brown wax cylinders that you have - even if they're spotty (and noisy) with mold as some of yours are. Also as a gentle note, some of your links you have posted for the brown wax cylinder selections are targeting your channel itself rather than the selection. One particular video I enjoy watching regarding preserving brown wax cylinders is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbeBSbMPbI by Shawn B. I share his compassion for preserving these early recordings.

Doug
Last edited by FellowCollector on Thu May 02, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you for the information on the cylinder. I have been using a model “B” reproducer, and not a “C”.
The links were posted out of frustration, as some would not work with the YouTube brackets on here, while others would?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Edisonfan wrote:Thank you for the information on the cylinder. I have been using a model “B” reproducer, and not a “C”.
The links were posted out of frustration, as some would not work with the YouTube brackets on here, while others would?
My pleasure, Paul. Regarding the links, when you're playing a video on your YouTube channel pause the video that you want to post the link to. Capture the address (near the top of your screen) by highlighting it, copy it (Control/C on your keyboard) and then go to your Forum post, click on the "URL" button and paste (Control/V) that link in the URL brackets. It should work every time. ;)

Doug

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you Doug!

FellowCollector
Victor IV

I also wanted to mention that if you want to "embed" your YouTube video in a post here on the Forum using the "YouTube" button you will have to remember to remove the "s" from "https:" in the video address on YouTube after you paste the link into the "YouTube" brackets on your post here.

For example, if I wanted to embed a video in this Forum post from my YouTube channel then the YouTube address would be "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbeBSbMPbI" since YouTube uses the "secure" version of Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (the "s" in "https:" meaning "secure").

When you paste this "https:" address from YouTube to your post here on Forum between the YouTube brackets you MUST remove the "s" in "https:" and then your embedded video link should work just fine. ;) Hope that helps you!

Doug

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

I know about removing the S but some links will not embed while others will. I should mention I am using an iPad Pro to upload videos and share links.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Edisonfan wrote:I know about removing the S but some links will not embed while others will. I should mention I am using an iPad Pro to upload videos and share links.
To add to Doug's comment, for the embedding to work properly, your link must be to youtube.com, not youtu.be or other similar site.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Doug, at would speed should the brown wax cylinders play at? As I have had someone say, the speed was too fast, and disliked the video. Bloody Trolls! :x

I will try and see how the other ones work on The Columbia Eagle.

Paul
Last edited by Edisonfan on Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Change m.youtube.com to www.youtube.com