Really Nice Early Clarion Cylinder Record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Really Nice Early Clarion Cylinder Record

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

I know I have posted a lot of records recently. But here is one which I really had to share simply because of how gorgeous it is. It's a Clarion Cylinder Record, dating from around November 1907. The song is number 11, which is very early for this company. As can be seen, the record label itself is really bright with vibrant colours. The art on this record label is particularly nice, and a favourite of mine. The artwork is a fantastic, and really a fantastic example of Art Nouveau, which is the period in which this record label was designed.
Attachments
Clarion Record 1.jpg
Clarion Record 2.jpg
Clarion Record 3.jpg
Clarion Record 4.jpg
Clarion Record 5.jpg
Clarion Record 6.jpg

MTPhono
Victor III

Re: Really Nice Early Clarion Cylinder Record

Post by MTPhono »

That is a very nice example! Do you collect cylinder record boxes?

Scott

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Thanks. Yes, it's crazy how it managed to stay to bright after 110 years. And I do like the boxes nearly as much as the records, but at the end of the day I'm not sure if I could ever buy an empty record box. But I guess it would depend on the design and rarity of the box itself.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

I believe the Premier Manufacturing Company was the last commercial maker of cylinder recordings in Britain and the second-last in the world, continuing until 1922.

Oliver Mundy.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Very interesting. Thanks. It's amazing how there was still some demand for them even after the war, when phonographs had become virtually obsolete (it still amazes me how Edison still made cylinders until 1929). My example is quite early, seeing as it is number 11. And there was a label change to one which was in red with white stencilling sometime around 1909/1910, something like that. I am unsure what the early 1920s cylinder labels would have looked like, but it would seem odd if they still used an Art Nouveau style label into the Art Deco period. Would be interesting to see an example of a later one. Also, my example had a low catalogue number. Would it be possible to have ordered an early record in a later year? Even for cylinders? Would be interesting to know. Thanks.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Josh Cattermole 1999 wrote:Would it be possible to have ordered an early record in a later year? Even for cylinders? Would be interesting to know. Thanks.
An interesting point indeed, and one which applies not only to Clarion cylinders but to all moulded cylinders. I do not know the answer, but I feel that the question deserves a thread to itself and shall post one accordingly.

Oliver Mundy.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Thank you very much. I will keep my eye on that thread to see what answers come in.