ketron281989
Victor O
Personal Text: "Quality Seen & Heard"

Circa 1924: "Crazy Bules" Cameo Label

Post by ketron281989 »

Circa 1924, Cameo Label

Crazy Blues (written by Perry Bradford)

Performed by "Salt and Pepper"

I have never heard of "Salt and Pepper". Can anyone shed some light on this selection?

Jon
Last edited by ketron281989 on Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capehart

"The finest in music plus radio entertainment"

GlensterTX
Victor O

Re: Circa 1924: "Crazy Bules" Cameo Label

Post by GlensterTX »

It might be easier to say what this record isn’t! It’s not jazz, it’s blues, and not particularly good. “Salt And Pepper” are, to my ears anyway, a white duo, one playing the ukulele and one singing in the style called “eel skin”, a type of scat-singing made “popular” by Ukulele Ike. They apparently sold well enough to release quite a few titles on the Cameo label and its subsidiaries. I believe they were Cameo’s answer to Ukulele Ike, who recorded at the time for Perfect Records.

This record is Cameo 583, coupling “Crazy Blues” and “Don’t ‘Cha Be Too Sure”, both by Salt And Pepper, recorded July 14, 1924. An ill-informed Wiki post repeats an equally wayward podcast claiming this is an early electric recording - it most definitely is not. These records are not especially rare and have traditionally not been popular among collectors. $10 isnt a bad price, especially if you got other records with it.

ketron281989
Victor O

Post by ketron281989 »

GlensterTX wrote:It might be easier to say what this record isn’t! It’s not jazz, it’s blues, and not particularly good. “Salt And Pepper” are, to my ears anyway, a white duo, one playing the ukulele and one singing in the style called “eel skin”, a type of scat-singing made “popular” by Ukulele Ike. They apparently sold well enough to release quite a few titles on the Cameo label and its subsidiaries. I believe they were Cameo’s answer to Ukulele Ike, who recorded at the time for Perfect Records.

This record is Cameo 583, coupling “Crazy Blues” and “Don’t ‘Cha Be Too Sure”, both by Salt And Pepper, recorded July 14, 1924. An ill-informed Wiki post repeats an equally wayward podcast claiming this is an early electric recording - it most definitely is not. These records are not especially rare and have traditionally not been popular among collectors. $10 isnt a bad price, especially if you got other records with it.

I personally like the tune, not for everyone though. A rather obscure duo I have never come across before. I purchased this record with other acoustic and early electric records. Greatly appreciate the information and meant say blues above, oops!

Jon
Capehart

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The record is a fairly ordinary amalgam of music styles going around in the early 20's. Not terribly pleasant to listen to. The still working electric Birch record player was more interesting.

GlensterTX
Victor O

Post by GlensterTX »

I personally like the tune, not for everyone though. A rather obscure duo I have never come across before. I purchased this record with other acoustic and early electric records. Greatly appreciate the information and meant say blues above, oops!

Jon
Thanks for sharing it! It’s neat stuff! :D

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Years ago I also bought a Salt and Pepper Cameo years ago, for the curiosity alone. I believe I acquired it from Nauck, or maybe from the old AllJazz or Recordfinders auctions.
Data:
SALT AND PEPPER V — doodle-doo-doo (art kassel, mel stitzel) — ca 609 (4268 25cm s) — Mx. 1156 b3 // — holdin' the sack (kurtz, cully) — ca 609 (4268 25cm s) — Mx. 1151 c1
Inigo

ketron281989
Victor O

Post by ketron281989 »

"Inigo", Thank you for sharing another Salt and Pepper example! As undesirable they may be, I have added this Duo to my list of records to hunt for. Would be neat to have a few good examples to play on the VV8-9.

Thank you for responding!

Jon
Capehart

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

When I watch thru the naucktion catalogues and others, I always look for things like these, odd and funny names on obscure (cheap) records... I've found some junk, of course, but others resulted interesting at least. In my experience, regarding 78s, anything can pop up anywhere! Besides that, one tends to develop some love for certain records, not necessarily valuable. Particular tastes are something unpredictable.
I always bid for a few cheap records named as 'Hock & Jerome', 'Nina Hinds & Pearl Leonard', 'The Honey Boys' and the like, on cheap labels as Pathé Actuelle, Cameo, and the Grey Gull stable, etc. One never knows, and some renditions of certain obscure songs can be pretty enjoyable, or voices come out with incredible realism, or some other charms can be found on those records.
Go hunting!
Inigo

ketron281989
Victor O

Post by ketron281989 »

Yes,

I too look for a few early cheap label's to add to the collection from time to time. I completely agree that some renditions of certain obscure songs can be pretty enjoyable on cheap or obscure records! For example, I like this version of "Crazy Blues" better than the original 1920 version by Perry Bradford. It all really comes down to personal taste. Records are fun to share and talk about.

More to come as I continue to sort the collection.

All of you have helped me better understand this record. Thank you for the responses!

Jon
Capehart