R. S. Baker's Antique Record Blog

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Cody K
Victor III

R. S. Baker's Antique Record Blog

Post by Cody K »

Down one of those random internet paths tonight where one search leads to something else and then something else, I ran across this very interesting blog on the subject of early recording, and thought it might be of interest to some members. The writer is Ramona Baker, and she gets pretty deep into the weeds exploring personnel and processes of the early record business. She may be well known to members of the forum, I don't know; but a search turns up only four mentions of her name by two members. I hadn't known of her work, and it's pretty admirable. I hope others will find the link useful: https://theoldrecordgal.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Cody
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: R. S. Baker's Antique Record Blog

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Just by skimming the first page of her blog, she really gets into the details!
Who of the musicians she writes about would have thought they'd be profiled over a hundred years later!
I'll have to go back and read more thoroughly.
Thanks for the link!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

It amazes me the trails this hobby leads. Of course pre orchestra accompaniment, you had studio pianists, pounding song after song with little or no credit for their work.

Reading Baker's blog, she is down to recognizing the quirks and style matching to a given accompanist various recorded versions of GW Johnson's Laughing Song! Amazing!

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

Antique Phonograph Society members will recognize Ramona's name. She is also a talented artist and recently had a cartoon published in the March issue of The Antique Phonograph, (topic- Len Spencer). APS members will see her newest piece in the June issue, (topic Victor Herbert and Fred W. Hager) arriving in the next few weeks.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Thank you, Cody! Only yesterday I was vainly struggling to remember Ramona's name; I had had her blog bookmarked but lost the information when my previous computer broke down. Her knowledge of and enthusiasm for early Columbia artists in particular is incomparable. She is an accomplished pianist as well.

Oliver Mundy.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

Ramona is very young, I think just recently out of,high school. Amazing attention to research and detail. She is an accomplished ragtime pianist, who can play in the styles of the various musicians she writes about.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Judge from her FB posts, she also dresses the part in period clothing.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

howardpgh wrote:Judge from her FB posts, she also dresses the part in period clothing.
When she performs at festivals and concerts, yes, she does dress the part.