What should I pay for a brown wax cylinder lot?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
martinola
Victor III

Re: What should I pay for a brown wax cylinder lot?

Post by martinola »

Martin,
I would strongly encourage you to have them picked up directly. These are very fragile things. I have seen so many that have ended up smashed despite all the best instructions, promises and intentions. It is far better to put off getting them in a hurry than to never get them because they are smashed to pieces. Much better to wait until you can meet with the folks picking them up. The newest of them are likely 115 years old - what's a month or two? - Just my two cents' worth.

Regards,
Martin

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

I appreciate your advice guys. I don't think I would feel very comfortable shipping them. I guess I'll make a final plea and asking anyone is willing to pick them up for me. They are in a city near Atlanta Georgia, so if anyone is around there, please PM me.

Thanks
Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I looked closer at your pictures and they appear to be marked with titles moulded into the wax. Didn't know brown wax records came like that! Are they really marked?

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I looked closer at your pictures and they appear to be marked with titles moulded into the wax. Didn't know brown wax records came like that! Are they really marked?
Didnt even notice that. As far as I know, the only cylinder producers at the time that marked their cylinders like that were Hawthorne and sheble. H&S cylinders are hard to come by, I might have to put in an extra mile to get my hands on these, I've cancelled the deal for the time being :oops:.

Martin

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Is it not possible that an early owner painted or scratched the titles onto the records? From the little I can see in the picture, the lettering looks uneven, as if it had been done by hand.

Oliver Mundy.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Also, do my eyes deceive me, or do a couple of those cylinders have channel rims?

Bill