Black Swan record & jacket

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Black Swan record & jacket

Post by eighteenbelow »

Greetings, everyone. I just happened to spot this in a lot of around 2,000 78's I had picked up recently. In decades of collecting, I've never come across a Black Swan before. (I don't really collect records, and wouldn't buy an individual 78 on Ebay or anywhere else -- I only buy them in big lots.) I don't imagine the record is worth anything; I'm just happy to have it. What really impresses me, though, is the jacket -- I'd never even seen a picture of one before, and still can't find any online, so I thought I'd share it with the forum. (The vast majority of the records in the lot have no jackets at all; very, very few seem to have matching jackets.) Has anyone out there ever come across one of these jackets before? How uncommon are the records themselves? Are all Black Swans acoustic? And can anyone tell me which iteration of the label this one is?

Thanks!
Attachments
Black Swan record & jacket - Copy.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Black Swan record & jacket

Post by gramophone78 »

Great find !!. I think I also have a sleeve someplace. Certainly not a commonly found with a record.
I also have seldom seen needle packets.
Black Swan Records (1).JPG

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

Great find with sleeve, I'e never seen one in the wild, let alone with a sleeve, even the orchestra series. I own a grand total of one Black Swan, and I did buy it on ebay.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I have two Black Swan discs that I found 'in the wild' but not with sleeves. Florence Cole Talbert was one of the early black opera singers to find international success. Interesting find.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The fact that the record was a classical recording is impressive--most people think it was only a jazz and blues label.

Very interesting find! Have you played it yet?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The fact that the record was a classical recording is impressive--most people think it was only a jazz and blues label.
People think the same way with Paramount too.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a few Black Swan records.I've never seen a Black Swan record sleeve or needle packets.edisonplayer