Latest edition of HMV The Gondoliers 1919

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Latest edition of HMV The Gondoliers 1919

Post by Inigo »

Tonight i was revisiting my Gondoliers HMV set of 1919, and thru the website of Gilbert and Sullivan discography (http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com) I noted down which of the matrices my set has. This set must have been very popular, for several sides were remade as late as 1923. My set has this late mx for side 15 (take a pair of sparkling eyes) by Tudor Davies, with orchestra conducted by Byng (Cc2690-III).
Besides that, all the records in my set have double letter pressing numbers, being GR the earlier (12th repressing, for side 3, We're called gondolieri, with the earlier mx Ho3779af) and not less than AD the latest (40th repressing for side 16, here we are at the risk of our lives, mx Ho3883af).
The labels on my set are all the 1925 style with golden corners, but the illustration on the cover is said to be the earlier one. Very interesting...
Inigo

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Latest edition of HMV The Gondoliers 1919

Post by marcapra »

I've loved Gilbert and Sullivan operettas since about 1971. You seldom hear about them though even in the antique phonograph and record hobby. I don't have anything that old though. I saw a great production of The Gondoliers at the San Diego Comic Opera about 15 years ago, but alas, changing tastes sent that fine outfit into bankruptcy. I'd like to see some pics of your records. Did they come in an early album?

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Marc... Trading old posts I found that... I never sent the photos of the 1919 Gondoliers HMV set...
Here they are, although interest in this matter maybe has vanished. With my apologies!
Inigo

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

If you ever find duplicate sets like that, let me know! I love acoustic classical discs and boxed sets are my favorite.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I didn’t know they were making album sets during the acoustic era. Intresting. I thought that didn’t start until record changers came out.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I didn’t know they were making album sets during the acoustic era. Intresting. I thought that didn’t start until record changers came out.
They can be tough to find but they are out there. There are even examples of sequential single- face pressings. The "set" seems to have really come in vogue in the early Twenties, with Columbia "flag" label sets and Victor blue label sets leading the charge.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Gramophone of UK issued several album sets pretty early, starting with Pagliacci, Faust, Cavalleria and other operas. German Grammophon also issued these early sets. I've owned in the past certain records from the Spanish Gramófono Cavalleria set, and they were probably 1916-1922 pressings: flat label area with no raised rings, no golden frame for nipper nor golden corners, big handscript Gramófono brand on top the label, etc.
4125887.jpg
285356192_1.jpg
These images are from the web.
Not easily at hand now, but the June 1917 Spanish Gramófono catalogue already mentioned this album set.
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

P.S. Don't know why, but these Gramófono records from that era, their aspect and their labels have a powerful appeal for me... Same with Spanish Odeon pressings from before the Columbia takeover...
They are somewhat clumsy pressings, with bumps under the label, etc. But some off the music found in these records is very good... Many of them still have hand-scraped notations under the labels come among them, some dates of recording... Very interesting!
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

gramophone-georg wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:I didn’t know they were making album sets during the acoustic era. Intresting. I thought that didn’t start until record changers came out.
They can be tough to find but they are out there. There are even examples of sequential single- face pressings. The "set" seems to have really come in vogue in the early Twenties, with Columbia "flag" label sets and Victor blue label sets leading the charge.
Album sets were introduced in Europe before the First World War. Odeon issued the "Casse Noisette" (Nutcracker) Suite in a special "Portfolio" album with introductory notes in 1909, and within months HMV issued an album set of the same work.
Attachments
odeon.jpg
odeon.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Hi Epi-

Yes, Europe did indeed lead the charge on issuing packaged sets of symphonic and opera works. My recounted experience have to do with USA only, as I collect the acoustically recorded sets through Depression- era sets- (mostly Depression era because acoustical sets here are so tough to find and I've become satiated with pre- Depression electrical sets).
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek