rarity of Victor 23000 series

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
78recordpicker
Victor I

rarity of Victor 23000 series

Post by 78recordpicker »

As my name states I am a picker so rarely would pay more than 1.00 for a record, more often 25 or 50 cents. I have found some very scarce records, but after looking at my Victor series, not a single 23000, early or late. Never seen 1 in six years (I live in PA). Go looking for records multiple times weekly. Yea, I know they are depression era, but not seeing a single one in the wild in 6 long years....Are they that tough?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: rarity of Victor 23000 series

Post by OrthoSean »

I wouldn't say they're "tough", they do turn up here in NY and I see them frequently at Wayne shows, but you'll be shelling out more than a couple of bucks for them most of the time, especially if the disc isn't roofing nail played gray.

Sean

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I never pay attention to any of the numbers on any of my records :? I just buy and play what I like to hear. I guess I should start being less ignorant of what I buy/own/sell. :lol:

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

travisgreyfox wrote:I never pay attention to any of the numbers on any of my records :? I just buy and play what I like to hear. I guess I should start being less ignorant of what I buy/own/sell. :lol:
My collection is mostly made up of things I like to listen to also, mostly. There's nothing wrong with knowledge though, it's certainly gotten me some great deals, but still I stick mainly to buying what I enjoy and paying accordingly or walking away. I've said many times that when a hobby turns into some sort of competition or a money hungry pursuit from greed, it's no longer a hobby (and to me, no longer enjoyable!)

Still, there are lots of great records out there to be found although I just don't bother looking seriously in my area at shops or sales any longer. I've bought quite a few significant collections to keep me busy for years to come, but I enjoy every minute of going through them and finding new discoveries. Most single discs I get now come from mail auctions, I stopped buying or even looking at eBay years ago for several reasons, most of which have been discussed here at length.

Sean

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

Forgive my ignorance, but is there something distinct about the 23000 series? Does it have a separate identity/genre?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Zenger wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is there something distinct about the 23000 series? Does it have a separate identity/genre?
Have a look ! : http://78discography.com/vic23000.html

Blues, dance bands, jazz of the kind that is highly sought today. There are records in there that in top condition could command four figures now. Good stuff.

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

well, I pay attention to the numbers simply because I also enjoy collecting by series, I started with baseball cards and coins as a kid and teen so always enjoyed checklists etc. So I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt, besides the music, whether the record could eventually "sell" for 10 cents or 100 dollars. I keep 95% of what i buy, Re the music, 98% of what I buy I am hearing for the first time, and am continuously intrigued.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I have about ¾ of them up to 23041- the ones following that are pretty much unobtanium unless you have millions in the bank... I'm fortunate that i am a jazz fanatic and not a blues fanatic, LOL!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Certainly some good titles in there by some good artists. These can command some high prices if your looking at auctions etc. The best way to find them is to be able to get them at flea markets etc. for a 1.00 or less. It was awesome when I was a teen in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, still a lot of good 78’s in flea markets for cheap.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I believe those were a special series, race/country and the like. Standard Victor pop line in fact I read somewhere jumped from 22999 to 24000 and continued from there. The 23000 series had been jumped over because it existed prior to Victor pops reaching 22999. Same for Decca personality series, for instance, jumping from 23999 to 27000, as the 24000 to 25999 were reserved for other special series.
It's this way, or I'm wrong?
Many did so. HMV complicated side numbering system also jumped, for instance 40000-40499 for 10" German orchestral records had to jump over 40500-40999 as this was a block reserved for band records, so they went from 40499 to 2-40000/2-40499, then 3-40000 etc.
Inigo