Early 7 inch record question

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
fmblizz
Victor IV

Early 7 inch record question

Post by fmblizz »

I received a bunch of 7 inch records with a recent machine purchase.. Are there any members on the forum that can give me some type of idea as to the dating order that they would have been produced?? Or can you send me a link to a website for further investigation??

I received a couple of Berliner's with the machine but I am more interested in the others five 7 inch record types that seem to be attributed to Eldridge Johnson. These are mostly pre or early Victor's disc's.. From the research on the internet,, it would appear that the IMPROVED GRAM-O-PHONE would have been next in line as far as production date after the Berliner but the four of the other's preceded the nipper logo which I thought didn't show up until 1902..

Below are pictures of the labels.

Thanks in advance

Blizz
Attachments
IG no dog.jpg
IG no dog.jpg (531.36 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
IR no dog.jpg
IR no dog.jpg (586.79 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
vm no dog.jpg
vm no dog.jpg (629.04 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
vr no dog.jpg
vr no dog.jpg (562.22 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
vmr dog.jpg
vmr dog.jpg (683.84 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
vr dog.jpg
vr dog.jpg (613.65 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Early 7 inch record question

Post by Wolfe »

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

They seem to be mostly in order. "Consolidated" was, I believe, the first paper label; after the injunction against the "Gramophone" name, Johnson switched to using his own name, until VTMCo. was incorporated in 1901. The transitional "Victor/ERJ" label seems to be just before incorporation. Then the "pre-dog" Victor labels, and finally Nipper in 1902.

Bill

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

thanks for the reply, can someone tell me if the Victor Monarch made by the Victor Talking Machine Co. came before or after the plain Victor Record made exclusively by Eldridge Johnson. Both records are 7inch and did not have the nipper logo..

Blizz

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

fmblizz wrote:thanks for the reply, can someone tell me if the Victor Monarch made by the Victor Talking Machine Co. came before or after the plain Victor Record made exclusively by Eldridge Johnson. Both records are 7inch and did not have the nipper logo..

Blizz
As I said above, the ERJ label preceded the VTM label. Apparently, Johnson adopted "Victor" as a trade name before the company was incorporated.

Bill

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thanks for your help Bill,, I found this site and it appears the Victor Monarch was used on both 7 & 10 in records back in 1901.

https://www.discogs.com/label/855234-Vi ... rch-Record

US record label produced between 1901-1903. It was originally produced by Eldridge R. Johnson beginning in January, 1901. Initially this label succeeded Johnson's Victor Ten Inch Record and was used only on 10" records. When Johnson reorganized his company as the Victor Talking Machine Co. on October 3, 1901, the Victor Monarch Record label was retained and used on both 7" and 10" pressings. By July, 1902, however, the brand was split and the Victor label was used for 7" pressings and Victor Monarch Record was used for 10" pressings. The first Victor Monarch Record had a lease notice above the spindle hole and credited production to Eldridge R. Johnson. The second label type retained the lease notice, but credited production to the Victor Talking Machine Co. The lease notice was replaced with the Victor trademark showing Nipper looking into a phonograph ("His Masters Voice") in 1902. In 1903, Victor introduced sunken labels and redesigned its label line. Victor was used for 7" discs, Victor Monarch Record was replaced by Monarch Record and used for 10" discs, and the De Luxe Record was introduced for 12" and 14" pressings. Both the Monarch Record and De Luxe Record labels were retired in March, 1905 in favor of a standard Victor label on all diameters.

blizz

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wow! Awesome finds that I can only dream about! You folks one the east coast are so lucky...