If you could keep only one record label of your collection?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

If you could keep only one record label of your collection?

Post by russmovaz »

If I were forced to keep only one label in my collection, I would save Victor/RCA and sacrifice the others. This because I have more Victor discs than any other label. Wondering what other members would choose to save if forced to pick only one label to keep?
Russell DeAnna

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: If you could keep only one record label of your collecti

Post by Inigo »

Buffff...! How difficult... Probably I would choose either the Spanish Regal/Columbias or the Spanish Odeons. Those records have been always the most surprising for me. Both companies issued mostly Spanish material, but due to their international connections, the most surprising records from Europe and America were in their catalogues along their history... Regal from 1923 until 1935, then Columbia until the end of the 78 era, issued records by Paul Whiteman, Layton and Johnston, singing sophomores, many other orchestras and artists, also French and German material, South American, etc. In the other hand, Odeon also issued menu surprising records...
Inigo

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Tough sell.

I guess I'd have to say Victor too.

Now for the question that wasn't asked - if I could keep all the 78 rpm records ever issued from one label it'd probably be HMV. Since they also pressed many Victor recordings, in addition to other things.

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Thanks for asking----Emerson of course

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'd have to pick Edison DD because I have an outstanding collection of them and many Edison DD phonographs.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Definitely Victor. They signed most of the best mainstream artists and had the largest catalog. I’d say about 75% of my collection is Victor as it is.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I'm not sure, I guess ...

I'm inclined to say HMV, because I've always assumed that, say, a 1949 HMV recording would hold up to a steel needle better than, say, a 1949 Victor. I've never done any extensive testing (and I don't mean to drift into a different topic) but is there a quick answer to that?

If that is not the case, I don't think there's any way I could leave my thick, luscious, immanently durable Viva Tonals behind, when it comes to playing records on my wind ups.
Last edited by SteveM on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Are you kidding? I would go rogue and tell whoever invented this game to fork off. I'd rather give up air! :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gramophone-georg wrote:Are you kidding? I would go rogue and tell whoever invented this game to fork off. I'd rather give up air! :)
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh--

THUMP.

Famous last words! :D

No, I don't know if I could make a decision like this. But if anyone plays the game in real life and has either Victor batwings, Edison Blue Amberols, or any British pressings of anything from the 1920s-1940s, please send them here for proper disposal.

russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

Post by russmovaz »

gramophone-georg wrote:Are you kidding? I would go rogue and tell whoever invented this game to fork off. I'd rather give up air! :)
I am guilty. Just wondering what other members consider their most treasured label.

I read so much about the early jazz and race labels Vocallion, Gennett, Black Swan, and OKay, that I wondered if those records are around in this group or not.

I am a beginner in collecting 78 RPM records, I was a big eBay seller of classical and jazz vinyl, but 78 RPM is new to me as of this year.
Russell DeAnna