Rhapsody In Blue - Billy Cotton - Regal MR 957

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
poodling around
Victor V

Rhapsody In Blue - Billy Cotton - Regal MR 957

Post by poodling around »

I am just starting to work my way through my collection of 78 records and re-assessing those I like and those I don't.

One record so far which I don't like and would bin is Rhapsody In Blue - Billy Cotton - Regal MR 957.

I see 'the same' record is priced at £ 20 on ebay at the moment. The condition of mine I don't know. It plays, has scratches and needs a clean. I have heard that items can be priced as anything on ebay but may not sell.

So, I just wonder. Are there any members on here (located anywhere in the world) who would have liked this record in their collection ?

Like I say, this record is probably destined for the bin. It is not for sale as such, I just want to know if anyone on here would have liked it in their collection in principle ?

I hope this makes sense, is okay to ask and is in the right section.
Attachments
DSC02515.jpg
DSC02515.jpg (351.86 KiB) Viewed 1219 times

Victor VI

Re: Rhapsody In Blue - Billy Cotton - Regal MR 957

Post by 52089 »

This is a 1933 recording which puts it within the first 10 years after the first performance of RIB. As such, I would probably be interested for historic purposes. However, it's only a 10" record, which means that there's probably no more than ½ of the entire piece, which typically is played in 12-14 minutes, and that would be a turnoff.

I suppose if I came across it for cheap I'd be glad to pick it up, but I can't see spending 20 quid on it myself.

poodling around
Victor V

52089 wrote:This is a 1933 recording which puts it within the first 10 years after the first performance of RIB. As such, I would probably be interested for historic purposes. However, it's only a 10" record, which means that there's probably no more than ½ of the entire piece, which typically is played in 12-14 minutes, and that would be a turnoff.

I suppose if I came across it for cheap I'd be glad to pick it up, but I can't see spending 20 quid on it myself.
Thank you very much for your reply 52089 and your thoughts / information. Most interesting.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You may find this page interesting.

http://www.redhotjazz.com/rhapsody.html

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

52089 wrote:You may find this page interesting.

http://www.redhotjazz.com/rhapsody.html
How to account for the discrepancy between the record label info (pictured above) and the solo performer listed on the redhtojazz site?

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

poodling around wrote:
52089 wrote:This is a 1933 recording which puts it within the first 10 years after the first performance of RIB. As such, I would probably be interested for historic purposes. However, it's only a 10" record, which means that there's probably no more than ½ of the entire piece, which typically is played in 12-14 minutes, and that would be a turnoff.

You've got to hear the Leroy Smith foxtrot version on redhotjazz. Only 3 minutes on a ten inch disc but it's quite a tour of the piece. It even quotes the "train" section that was always cut from the early recordings.

-bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

poodling around wrote:I am just starting to work my way through my collection of 78 records and re-assessing those I like and those I don't.

One record so far which I don't like and would bin is Rhapsody In Blue - Billy Cotton - Regal MR 957.

I see 'the same' record is priced at £ 20 on ebay at the moment. The condition of mine I don't know. It plays, has scratches and needs a clean. I have heard that items can be priced as anything on ebay but may not sell.

So, I just wonder. Are there any members on here (located anywhere in the world) who would have liked this record in their collection ?

Like I say, this record is probably destined for the bin. It is not for sale as such, I just want to know if anyone on here would have liked it in their collection in principle ?

The high cost of postage makes buying records singly a very expensive business. Some sellers list quite common 78's at unrealistically high prices, and they then languish unsold on eBay for weeks if not months. The only price guides worth looking at on eBay are the "Sold" listings, and even these can be inconsistent, but that's auctions.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:
poodling around wrote:I am just starting to work my way through my collection of 78 records and re-assessing those I like and those I don't.

The high cost of postage makes buying records singly a very expensive business. Some sellers list quite common 78's at unrealistically high prices, and they then languish unsold on eBay for weeks if not months. The only price guides worth looking at on eBay are the "Sold" listings, and even these can be inconsistent, but that's auctions.

Thank you.

How do you look at 'sold' listings on ebay please I wonder ?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You have to have an account on eBay and be logged in there to look at sold listings.

Once you've done that, do a search as you normally would, then look at the various options that show up on the left side of the results screen. Under "Show Only", click the box that says "Sold Items".

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I would have bought this record...I like organ music and Gershwin. Some of the old theater organ stuff is pretty nifty.