Pathé label stuck over a Diamond Disc record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Pathé label stuck over a Diamond Disc record

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

Hello,

In a recently acquired lot of records from a local car boot sale there were a number of Pathé records in their original sleeves. One really intrigued me though, because the Pathé label has been clearly pasted over a diamond disc record with the etched label. As far as I'm aware the Diamond Disc company was UK based and used imported French discs. It used the same sapphire ball that Pathé records used. It dates to c.1915. However, as far as I am aware the Pathé label dates to the early 20s, so there seems quite a few years between the disc and the label. Also, why would Pathé even paste a label over a Diamond Disc record? Did they acquire their surplus discs shortly after ww1? I have provided pictures of the record in question (both sides), and one of my own Diamond Disc records for comparison. Whatever is going on here, it is an extremely interesting (and I presume scarce) piece of record history. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
00000.jpg
00000.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 846 times
0000.jpg
0000.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 846 times
000.jpg
000.jpg (32.56 KiB) Viewed 846 times
00.jpg
00.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 846 times
0.jpg
0.jpg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 846 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Pathé label stuck over a Diamond Disc record

Post by epigramophone »

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Thank you epigramophone. That clears it up nicely and makes a lot of sense. A very interesting read :)

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Looking back at the other Pathé records I can make out 2 more which were originally Diamond Disc records, but the etchings have been largely scrubbed away, leaving only faint traces. I guess the one in the photos above was missed for some reason. Very interesting.