Record covers

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
m1tch
Victor O

Record covers

Post by m1tch »

Hi everyone, I have bought a job lot of odds and ends for my 102 the other day, some are in fab condition, some aren't but some have really quite cool paper covers, not the record labels sort but from the shops that sold them.

I have a few that are basically paper bags but are branded with the price and location etc which look quite cool! It just shows how common just popping to the local record shop to grab a record was. I guess in the same way that people just go and browse round CD shops now.

Perhaps we could start a thread with record cover photos and see what everyone has, I have some from the UK, but would be interesting to see what you guys in the US have got :D

I will take some photos of mine a bit later tonight, but I feel that it all adds to the history :)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Record covers

Post by gramophoneshane »

Great idea Mitch.
I've always had a fasination with record covers/sleeves/bags/envolopes myself, and have tried to collect as many brands & variations as I can.
They can sometimes show the time line of a particular music store, showing changes of address & the expansion (& decline)of chain stores to other cities & states. Others are visually stunning works of art. They can sometimes render interesting info such as the original price of a machine, or even the model numbers of off-brands that dont even appear on the machines themself. Other covers are indeed much rarer than the records they protected, due to high acid content of the paper which causes them to crumble to dust with age.
Looks like it's time to charge the camera batteries & to take some pix later today. Hopefully a few others will do the same.

m1tch
Victor O

Post by m1tch »

I will take some photos tomorrow, I am going to get out all the records I have and check the condition they are in and then I need to get some new covers lol

m1tch
Victor O

Post by m1tch »

Here are photos of the covers I have - some are in good condition, some aren't please ignore the record that it contains lol

P.S Oooo a factory sample, not for resale copy :D

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks for posting M1tch! I also find the advertising covers interesting and grab them whenever I can.

JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Post by JHolmesesq »

I have 2 great HMV covers - one telling you the history of Nipper and one showing you the various HMV uprights for sale and their pricing. I shall have to photograph them!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I posted a couple here awhile back that you may find interesting...

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 5155#p5155

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I forgot all about this thread :oops:
Here's a few I guess many haven't seen before.
Attachments
Chinese Beka.JPG
Chinese Pathe.JPG
French Pathe lateral.JPG
Greek Columbia.JPG
Greek HMV.JPG
Italian HMV.JPG
Italian Telefunken.JPG
Japanese Teichiku.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

And some Zonophone sleeves. Many more to come another day.
Attachments
Zono 1.JPG
Zono 2.JPG
Zono 3.JPG
Zono 4.JPG
Zono 5.JPG
Zono Celebrity.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Another Columbia-