BA Cylinder repair?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

BA Cylinder repair?

Post by kirtley2012 »

I've got one indestructible cylinder, and I'm looking to buy another cylinder that have small splits in them, not spreading into the music, I was wondering if it's possible to stabilise splits at all? maybe with superglue, maybe by cutting away split region to stop it spreading, anyone had luck stabilising splits?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: BA Cylinder repair?

Post by phonogfp »

An old trick to stabilize splits in the celluloid is to drill a tiny hole just beyond the end of the split. Should the split continue, it will merely spread open the hole very slightly rather than continue to split the celluloid.

George P.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: BA Cylinder repair?

Post by NEFaurora »

I've used 5-minute Epoxy for years with a damp paper towel to wipe off the excess immediately.. It has treated me well with excellent results and high success...as it tends to "arrest" the split and cause it not to spread further... but yes, In extreme cases, You can drill a hole as well...but I would try the epoxy fill method first...if it ever fails, You can always do both...or if you're scared of epoxy, just drill the hole by itself. Everyone has their own favorite way of doing it.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer