Newbie help - what have I got?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Newbie help - what have I got?

Post by Wolfe »

I wouldn't think an MGM 'Metrolite' pressing, (if that's what they were using in the U.K.) should be brought anywhere near an acoustic machine.
The Nixa looks to be some kind of plastic too, same deal.

Only lightweight pickups need apply.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The UK & AU MGM pressings I have are all shellac, but the UK versions are far softer than the AU discs.
I have Nixas in both shellac & plastic. I seldom play plastic records on an acoustic machine, but if I do, I use "trailer" needles. Even though these were designed for use with an electric pick-up on acetate and plastic discs, they dont seem to damage the plastic, provided the machine being used has good tracking etc.

m1tch
Victor O

Post by m1tch »

Ah ok, so it seems that my collection is a mix between the acoustic 78s and the later electronic 78s? I think I will only be playing the HMV records on my 102, as I guess they wouldn't work on the later electronic turntables?

I am still confused about what is compatible with what, I know that the later 78s are used in electronic turntables etc with the lightweight head, but how do I know what I can and can't play on my 102?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

They will work on an electric turntable, but they just wont sound quite as good as electrically recorded discs. The frequency range is just broader with electrical recordings.
Probably the easiest way to tell which are suitable for the 102 is to just play records with no run-in groove.
In other words, the record will have a smooth outer edge on the surface, with no groove to pull the needle over to the recording.

m1tch
Victor O

Post by m1tch »

Cool, I will have a look through what I have and check for the lack of run-in grooves on the records :) might be why I have already been stabbed by the needle and soundbox falling off the record onto me as there aren't any run in grooves lol

With regards to covers, I am going to get some basic card covers, will these be ok? of course they are acid free etc etc

Oh, and one last thing, I saw a carbon brush in a store today next to some repro/retro turntables (fake wood and electrics etc lol) it doesn't use any solution that might mess with the shellac but its just a fine dry brush. Should I get something like that to clean off my records etc?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Since I use only steel needles with my Victor 4-40, I generally avoid playing post 1930's records on it, the softer shellac formulations wear quicker, I think. I'm a big fan of modern electric reproduction, that's my preferred method, with all 78's, most of the time. The Victrola is just for fun. :D

You could use a carbon brush on 78's, though it's not that necessary, carbon brushes also perform the task of de-staticising records. Very useful for vinyl, not as much so for 78's. And apart from surface dust, a dry brush isn't going to be very effective at loosening up ground in dirt, loose shellac and steel needle filings down in the grooves.

It's your choice, about the brush. For playback on a vintage phonograph, you're probably good to go as is, without a dry brush. If you really want to clean, a solution of mild dishwashing detergent, lukewarm water and a toothbrush work well for a serious cleaning. No alcohol based cleansers, ever. And don't wet bath Edisons, and be careful with laminated records, like Columbia.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Mitch- I meant to post this link in regards to the label stamped you noted in your original post.
If you click on the "Mechanical Copyright Stamps" link, you'll get a brief run down on what they are & why they were used. Apparently these stamps are a collecting field all there own.

http://www.78rpm.net.nz/